Copy competitor's legal pages?

Tourist
5 0 1

I want to copy a Terms & Conditions agreement from a competitors site & swap out their name for mine. would that create a problem for my business. SEO problem or SHopify problem? or any other problem?

I talked to a lawyer it is not illegal as long as it is not registered by the uscopyright office.

Your advises are most welcome 

THank you

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
254 20 42

Hi, there. 

My name is Ren from the Shopify support team and I can offer some direction here for you. Shopify actually has a support document that'll teach you how to generate 5 different store policies including Refund, Privacy, Terms of Service, Shipping and a Legal Notice.  I highly recommend using these generators and tweaking them to best suit your business. 

The problem I foresee with copying from a competitors site is potentially leaving some of the competitors information in the policy as they're quite long which creates the potential to miss something and this may in turn be detrimental to trust building with your customers. The safest and most effective way to go about having your own stores policies is with the Shopify generated content found here. It's fast and very user-friendly. 

You can take inspiration and learn from your competitors policies but be sure you are re-writing any custom content as your own. 

Hope that helps! What are you specifically looking to add in your policies that may fall outside the generic template? 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like