Country drop down list not working at checkout?

4 0 0

My site is http://shopneopets.com/, and I'm having a major issue that is affecting customers from checking out. On the billing address page, where it would normally be a drop down of countries, it is now just blank. Since this is a required field it is preventing anybody from purchasing from my shop. It is also occurring when a customer creates an account with us and tries to add a billing address to their account. 

You can replicate this error by adding anything to your shopping cart, proceeding to checkout, and then getting to the insert billing address page. 

If anybody knows what might be causing this and/or how I can fix it that would be amazing, as until then my site is just on hold.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
113 0 26

Hey Jake,

The reason the "country" drop-down is blank is probably because you currently don't have any shipping rates set up in your store. The "country" drop-down in the checkout process pre-populates with the countries that are set up in your Shipping settings.  If you don't have any shipping rates set up, then no countries are set up in your settings, which means the checkout doesn't have any countries to list.

It looks like you sell digital goods, so I understand why you don't have any shipping rates set up. In order to get around this issue, what you can do is create a single shipping option for "Rest of World" that costs $0.00 (since you probably don't want to charge shipping).  You can check out our Shipping articles for information on how to set up shipping rates: http://docs.shopify.com/manual/settings/shipping

0 Likes
4 0 0

Thank you so much, I would have never tried that!  Fixed it perfectly.

0 Likes
1 0 1

Hi, 

I am having the same issue, however, I am trying to completely disable the shipping rate. We are a wholesale company and use various carriers and cannot calculate shipping cost until the order is processed. I've added the countries and tried to delete the rate so no shipping cost pops up but it won't let me finish checking out.

I've also attempted to remove the shipping address require but it doesn't work.

Is there any way around this?

1 Like
2 0 0

You can add a shipping rate that says free shipping, thats what I have done.

0 Likes