Create tag groups and filter by them

Highlighted
24 0 0

Hello Everyone,

Is it possible to group tags? for example: I got the tags: Socks, Gloves and Binnies.

I want them all to be grouped as Winter products. Then, when the customer is in the Clothing collection he will be able to filter by: Winter / Summer / Spring / Fall products.

After choosing to filter by Winter I want the customer to be able to filter by the tags: Socks / Binnies / Gloves.

I'm using Venture theme and if there is no solution for this, could anyone please link me to a good Liquid tutorial?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
152 0 10

Hi, Shay.

This is Martha from the Shopify Team. 

It is not possible to group tags specifically, but you could add additional tags to your products.

I'm not sure if you've considered automated collections to arrange your products into different seasons. This can be done using tags like Socks, Gloves, and Binnies as conditions to create the groups automatically. Se this doc for more steps - Set multiple selection conditions.

If you were looking for some filter menus to help you and you customers navigate your site, you might find one of these apps is a helpful addition:

If you have any more questions, please feel free to reach out to us again here or over email support@shopify.com

Best, 
Martha

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2433 0 436

Hi Shay, 

Something similar exists in Supply theme (and some others) and called group tag filtering(explained).

Your tags should look like Winter_Socks, Winter_Gloves and Summer_Socks. The theme looks at the first part (which is then stripped for display) and groups them, so you have one group Winter with Choices Gloves and Socks and another Group is Summer with the only choice is Socks.

There is an alternate approach when tag groups are hard-coded in theme code, which IMHO less flexible, but you keep your tag names unchanged.

And here is the liquid reference which is a nice place to start with liquid.

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com! My post solved your problem? This is my Paypal too :)
1 Like
24 0 0

Is it possible to use group filtering in Venture theme?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2433 0 436

This functionality is not included in Venture, but can be added by modifying the theme code.

I did this for minimal (example -- there are 3 groups done rendered as drop-downs) (code is shared in this thread) and in boundless (example).

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com! My post solved your problem? This is my Paypal too :)
1 Like
24 0 0

Thank you very much Tim!

I actually just tried the alternate approach you gave me and I find it very useful for me!

Thanks alot! :)

0 Likes
Tourist
18 0 1

Searchflt is a new small App Developer made a great App to filter both on site after price and every tag you have Bulk Edit Tags by Powertools tagging of Collections and Any conditions you have in addition to this would be a great choice. 

Bulk Edit PowerTools is Free

Both links open in new window.

Janus
0 Likes
Tourist
18 0 1

https://gist.github.com/darryn/8047749

Shopify tag filter group just have to tag like Brand_Adidas etc.

Janus
0 Likes