Creating a Gallery Showcase in brooklyn theme / recommended sizes for hero slideshow

Tourist
8 0 1

Helloe, I wanted to know if there is a way to either add a new page on menu or in the home page create a section where i can have a showcase gallery type to provide a lookbook of sorts. Pictures of models / customers in my merchandise. I cannot find any information on this at all. In addition, i would like to know the recommended sizes for the hero slide show or the limits so my pictures will not be cropped. they seem to be zoomed in at all times. I do not want to change themes. I only have these two issues please advise.

1 Like
Tourist
8 0 1

please help any shopify experts!

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
2652 60 649

Hi there, 

by default your slideshow will always cover the entire screen size and crop your images. Luckily, for Brooklyn there is (at least was, so worth trying) the way to modify the slideshow to keep aspect ratio of the images.

You need to open your theme code (Actions =>Edit code), open a slideshow.liquid Section and find the following line:

{% assign hero_full_height = true %}

Change from true to false. 

It's recommended to load your images as big as possible, the theme will resize them to best suit the visitors screen; but keep the images aspect ratio the same for all slides.

There is no lookbook section in the Brooklyn theme.

As a workaround, it's possible to create a special "lookbook product"  to hold the images and use an aternate product page template which will hide the Add-to-Cart part of the screen -- as simple as adding this to the template:

<style>
 [itemprop="offers"] {
    display: none;
 }
</style>

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
501 26 68

Hey!

My name is Ava, I’m one of Shopify’s Gurus and I’m here to help :)

If you would like to create a lookbook/gallery, I would recommend one of the following apps - 

* Image gallery Lookbook gallery
* Photo Gallery by POWr
* Cozy Image Gallery
* Lookbook Image + Video Gallery

You can create this without using an app if you like, you can create a new page (Online Store > Pages > Add Page). In the new page, you can add images to the content box (also called the rich text editor). However, I would recommend using an app as I mentioned above, as the overall look of your gallery would be much more professional. At the moment, the rich text editor does not give a lot of creative control over your pages. So adding additional functionality via an app would give you a lot more options on how the gallery would look/operate!

For the Hero Slideshow, it's best to use images that are 3840 x 2160 px or larger, but that also does not exceed either 20 megapixels or 20 megabytes in file size. File sizes above 20mp or 20mb would exceed our upload limits, so it's best to keep the images below this. We have some recommendations here on how best to upload slideshow images. There is also a post here outlining some tips on image sizes with Brooklyn.

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
2 0 1

They should! The theme would be 10/10 better with a Gallery feature 

1 Like
2 0 1

The whole reason I switched from Big Cartel and came here was because the most legit theme didn't have a gallery feature. Upon signing up here nobody mentioned gallery features being an additional cost and that it isn't included on every theme. It just so happens my favorite theme here also doesn't have a gallery feature, and I'm like, lol this again, eh? A Gallery feature is essential to my business and vision, as is to many business owners. The options suggested don't suit that vision as some are different color themes/schemes, geared toward fashion, have terrible reviews, or appear unprofessional etc. Ideally, I would like a Gallery feature to be written into this theme that translates smoothly and I know ya'll can if ya want too :) I tried to convince Big Cartel to do the same and now I'm here instead and I'd like to stay here! If you choose not too add the gallery feature I suppose I shall find another theme to suffice but just know you could make this experience better by giving the people what they want ;) Thank you kindly y have a good day

Biendiciones 

@Ava wrote:

Hey!

My name is Ava, I’m one of Shopify’s Gurus and I’m here to help :)

If you would like to create a lookbook/gallery, I would recommend one of the following apps - 

* Image gallery Lookbook gallery
* Photo Gallery by POWr
* Cozy Image Gallery
* Lookbook Image + Video Gallery

You can create this without using an app if you like, you can create a new page (Online Store > Pages > Add Page). In the new page, you can add images to the content box (also called the rich text editor). However, I would recommend using an app as I mentioned above, as the overall look of your gallery would be much more professional. At the moment, the rich text editor does not give a lot of creative control over your pages. So adding additional functionality via an app would give you a lot more options on how the gallery would look/operate!

For the Hero Slideshow, it's best to use images that are 3840 x 2160 px or larger, but that also does not exceed either 20 megapixels or 20 megabytes in file size. File sizes above 20mp or 20mb would exceed our upload limits, so it's best to keep the images below this. We have some recommendations here on how best to upload slideshow images. There is also a post here outlining some tips on image sizes with Brooklyn.

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Excursionist
39 1 1

Hello, I am currently using Brooklyn Theme but can't the code you said on my slideshow section. Please Help. Thanks

0 Likes