Creating a file upload link in a contact form

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

So for my companies site we use multiple different contact forms so I have been creating new page templates and going that froute. For one of the the pages I am trying to add upload links for customers to send their companies logos to us so me can make customized products. As of now the customers can upload files but when they submit the form the email just contains the file name rather than an attachment to the file. Typically I would use a php file to get this function to work but I don't think that's possible in the format shopify has.

Anyone know how to correct this issue?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
108 0 19

Hey Ryan! 

As far as I know it is only possible to create a contact form which supports uploads using an external application/service. Similar to our guide which will allow customers to upload a file with their order (seen here) you will want to use something like Wufoo or Jotform to generate these forms and allow customers to upload files via a page on your site.

Check those out when you get a chance! :) 

Cheers,
Bob O. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Alright, thank you! I have another question if I may; I have multiple different contact forms on my website and right now they all go to my email as I'm listed as the cutomer email in our account, is there a way in which I can have one form go to my email and the other two forms go to two different coworker's emails?  Or can I set it so that a form will be sent to two emails so I don't have to keep forwarding them along? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
108 0 19

Hey Ryan! 

Sorry for the delay, was AFK for a some time. 

This would not be possible with the built in contact forms, but I would double check with Jotform or Wufoo (whichever you chose) to see if there is an option to add extra contacts when building the forms on their end. 

If not, then it may be possible to set up automated forwarding based on their mailing servers from the options available in your email settings. This would not be as seamless as it could be but would save you the time of doing it manually! 

Cheers,
Bob O. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Thanks Bob your help is much appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi there, this may be outdated but we also created a dead simple theme extension that does this - the benefit to our plugin is that it uses the native shopify form, and the native contact email. No third party integrations required. Check it out!

https://apps.shopify.com/simple-uploads

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 8

I've worked out how to do this for free!
Go to your product.liquid file and search for:

type="submit"

This is the 'add to cart' part of your page.
You want to add the following code to a few lines above this

<div class="product-form__item product-form__item--logo">            
   <label for="custom_photo">Logo?</label>
   <input id="custom_photo" type="file" name="properties[Logo]" class="product-form__input">           
</div>

If you want this to be required then add the word required on the input tag

<div class="product-form__item product-form__item--logo">            
   <label for="custom_photo">Logo?</label>
   <input required id="custom_photo" type="file" name="properties[Logo]" class="product-form__input">           
</div>

DEMO

Note: File uploads may not work if your cart is a slide-out or popup (AJAX) cart. If you test and the file upload doesn't work, try switching to the "redirect to cart page" option in your Customize Theme > Cart settings.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
10007 116 1816

^ Philip - line item properties and file uploads are a common thing. This thread is about the contact form - not adding to cart.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
38 5 3

Hey man,

thank you for sharing this. It works perfectly.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

I'm pretty new to Shopify and I'm kinda doing the same thing.

I created product templates and sections. So when I have a customizable product I just choose that template at the bottom of the page. when the customer chooses a product that has options to customize images or text they can do it right there on the product page

. I used "if" statements so if the product has "one image" and "one text" custom option I just add those tags. If it has two images I just add two images tag. The proper boxes show up to upload. The customer will see the image name and/or text name in the cart. You can find them in your images.

If you are using Printify you can choose the option to not fulfill automatically and edit the order then. I don't know how well this will work with a lot of traffic though.

Hope this helps 

0 Likes