Creating and editing custom pages

Tourist
5 0 0

So I know we can edit the templates on VScode and then upload them to shopify and then preview them but I wanted to be able to preview it just like I would if I was editing a normal website and running a local server in browser and being able to look at the changes live.  Is this possible at all or can .liquid files only be ran and viewed as a site if uploaded to shopify site? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Globetrotter
626 59 126

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question but you can develop locally on your machine if that's what you mean. You'll need to install theme kit and watch your files. 

https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/95401862-3-simple-steps-for-setting-up-a-local-shopify-theme-d...

That tutorial is a pretty solid walk through. 

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a direct message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
1 Like
Tourist
5 0 0

Sorry if my question was confusing. I guess theme kit is the same as what I was thinking since it uploads to your shopify acct and lets you view your theme. I will check it out thanks.

Is there a way to edit and view the theme without using themekit?  like opening in my browser and viewing theme by itself

0 Likes
Globetrotter
626 59 126

As far as I know, there is no "truly" local way of developing with shopify. You're always going to have to preview in the website, you will always need an internet connection. If you're worried about making changes on the fly and them showing up on the website before your edits are complete, you can always duplicate a theme and make that your editing version, then when you're done with your edits you can publish that theme. Repeat.

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a direct message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
1 Like
Tourist
5 0 0

Alright thanks I did some research but couldn't find anything so I asked here and it sounds like its not possible. Appreciate you responding and confirming that.

0 Likes