Custom product 'required' field not working

fixyoursignin
Tourist
28 0 1

I'm trying to add custom fields to a product form and following the instructions in the docs, I added 'required' as a tag inside the selector and also added 'required' to the class list. But it's still allowing me to add the product to the cart with the field empty.

Replies 11 (11)

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

You would have to post the relevant code here so we can see what might be going wrong.

Generally, you would add (to get the terms straight) a required attribute to the field's tag, e. g.

<input type="text" name="properties[whatever]" required />

If a user left that field empty it would trigger the browser's default HTML5 form validation. See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/HTML/Forms/Form_validation#The_required_attribute for details.

★ Smart Upgrades, Tips and Tutorials for Shopify themes: cartpunk.com
Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up
fixyoursignin
Tourist
28 0 1

One example:

<select required class="required single-option-selector single-option-selector-product-template product-form__input"
          id="covermaterial" name="properties[designer_bgtexture]" onChange="markMaterialSwatch();" data-error="Please select a Cover Material." >
    <option value="">-- Please Select --</option>
  {% for mat in materials %}
    {% for color in materialfamilies[mat] %}
      {% assign swatchName = mat | append: "-" | append: color %}
    <option value={{ swatchName }}>{{ swatchName }}</option>
    {% endfor %}
  {% endfor %}
  </select>

Another example, first line is required, second is not.

<div class="input-wrapper product-form__item" style="min-width: 100%">
  <label for="embossline1" style="font-weight: 700;">Line 1 <span style="color: Red;"> *</span></label>

<input required class="required product-form__input" type="text" maxlength="40" id="embossline2" name="properties[designer_line2text]" />
</div>

<div class="input-wrapper product-form__item" style="min-width: 100%">
  <label for="embossline2" style="font-weight: 700;">Line 2 <em>(optional)</em></label>

<input class="product-form__input" type="text" maxlength="40" id="embossline2" name="properties[designer_line2text]" />
</div>
fixyoursignin
Tourist
28 0 1

The point is, these are multiple fields in multiple forms and NONE of them are working with 'required'

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
803 71 239

Can you post a link to the live store?

★ Smart Upgrades, Tips and Tutorials for Shopify themes: cartpunk.com
Did my solution work? Help other Community members easily find the correct solution and apply it to their own stores by marking it as the Accepted Solution and giving it a Thumbs Up
itswildcharm
Visitor
1 0 0

I need help with this same issue.

www.shopwildcharm.com

dtrent2
Visitor
1 0 0

I have this same issue as well. Here's the code I am using. Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 10.17.19 PM.png

Customers can add to cart without having to fill out the text box. 

GfA
Visitor
2 0 0

I was having the same problem, but found this article:

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Required-Line-item-not-working/td-p/263177

My form is handled by AJAX, so the HTML required is ignored by the browser.

Interestingly, <select> required attribute works normally.

hacy
Visitor
2 0 0

I'm also having the same issue:

<p class="line-item-property__field">
              <label for="registrant-name">Registrant Name</label>
              <input required class="required" id="registrant-name" type="text" name="properties[Registrant Name]">
            </p>

<p class="line-item-property__field">
              <label for="hometown-or-zip-code">Hometown or Zip Code</label>
              <input required class="required" id="hometown-or-zip-code" type="text" name="properties[Hometown or Zip Code]">
            </p>

ank_mak
Shopify Partner
3 1 5

Hello 
I have faced the same issue for the product required line item properties.
I have removed "novalidate" attribute from the product form and then it's working properly. 
You need to make sure your form should not contain novalidate attribute. 

ank_mak_0-1666770577718.png

If my solution works for you then please like and accept the solution.
For any Shopify custom requirements, please hire me.
- Feel free to contact me at ankur.makadia034@gmail.com
Shopify Partner | Skype : ankur.makadia
awaisasif
Visitor
2 0 3

thanks, it worked for me as well

she-print
Visitor
1 0 1

It works well with Add to card, but not with Buy it now. However I used your solution. Thanks.