Customers able to add more items than available to cart including when out of stock.

Tourist
5 0 2

Hi there, I really hope someone might be able to help me please! 

Im using the Shopify free Debut theme, and I’ve noticed when an item has 0 stock it remains visible and you can still add to cart. Also when there is only one item available customers can still add any number to cart.

when you go to cart you can see all items, only when clicking proceed does an error message appear that there isn’t stock. 

I would ideally like to make it so that, 

1- customers can only add what’s available to cart

2- out of stock items show as out of stock and can’t be added to cart. 

I dont really do code, but I have copied and pasted some liquid code into my theme for installing apps so if there is code for this, and you could advise where to paste it I’m comfortable with that but that’s about all with code I’m afraid!

Is this something I can fix? 

Many thanks, Kim. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1153 133 200

Hey Kimberley,

You have to make sure the Inventory Tracking is turned on and configured to prevent cart additions and purchasing of out of stock items. Some more info here https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/inventory/transfers/enable-tracking

This is a per-product setting, you can use Shopify's bulk-edit to amend more products if need be.

Hope that helps!

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

Thank you for your reply. 

I have all products set to be tracked, and not be purchased when out of stock. However you can still add to basket, it’s when you then click to continue to checkout it presents an error message that there isn’t enough stock. This is what I’d like to prevent as looks very poor and I suspect will frustrate potential customers.

Kim.  

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
335 31 77

Hi, Kim!

This is May from Shopify.

Sergiu is correct there, you’ll want to make sure that you are tracking inventory on your products. Once you enable inventory tracking, please make sure that the box that says ‘Allow customers to purchase this product when it's out of stock’ is unchecked.

Once you’ve made sure your settings is all good to go, your customers should not be able to add any out of stock items to their cart. This is what your product page should look like if a customer is trying to buy an out of stock item.

If your out of stock product does not show a ‘Sold Out’ button, there may be something on the background that is causing this. It may be because of an app you installed on your store, or changes you’ve made to the theme code. Let me know if this is still an issue! Since you are using a theme made by Shopify, our theme support team may be able to take a look into this.

That being said, now, let’s go back to your first question, which is preventing your customers to add exceeded quantity of items to their cart. You are correct about this, your customers will still be able to add exceeded amount of items to their cart, however they will see an error message when they proceed to checkout. In order to disable the ‘Add to Cart’ button, you will need to edit your theme code. I am not an expert in coding myself, however, I can speak and check with our theme support team to see if they are able to do this customization for you. I will send you an email shortly to the email address on file. So, keep your eyes peeled for that email! ?

If this isn't quite what you were after, let me know and we can continue with our support.

Kind Regards,

May

Shopify Support

May | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

Many thanks for your reply! 

So ive ensured as I add each product that they are all set not to allow purchase when out of stock, and they are all tracked by Shopify.

i can confirm when I remove all available the Sold Out does appear instead of add to cart so that is fine.

My real issue is the adding to cart, as so many I list are quite expensive for example I have a large Moldavite piece that is 13 grams weight and over £100 and although once they proceed to checkout they will get the message that there isn’t stock, I’m worried being able to add any amount to cart might make cusomers wonder that it isn’t a one off and so won’t buy, so yes, I’d very much like to prevent customers adding to cart more than stock allows. 

An email would be wonderful thank you for looking into this for me, I don’t even mind paying a small fee to have some code added within the theme if that’s what is needed. 

Kind wishes, Kim xx 

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
335 31 77

Hi again, Kim!

No problem at all! I've got your email reply here, thank you very much for that!

Since you are using a theme made by Shopify, and you are on a paid plan, you do have 60 minutes of complimentary design time. That said, simple requests could be done, but depending on how complicated your request is, you may have to look into hiring a Shopify Expert.

Let me know if you have any other questions! ?

Kind Regards,

May
Shopify Support

May | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

That’s great thanks, let’s hope they can assist me and get sorted it’s my only issue after lots of testing so I’m remining hopeful! I wondered if might need a little luqui code adding to the product page within the theme but as I’m not a coder I’d prefer to allow someone who is to handle it! But I’m sure others must have this same issue..... 

I have your mails so i will await a reply and see if I have any luck, 

kim, 

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

Just wanted to pop on one last time to advise - we weren’t able to prevent customers adding to cart more than stock allows, however we have added an available quantity box instead to display what is actually available, just in case others come here to fix the same issue! 

Thanks for all replies and assistance, much appreciated! 

Kim. 

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 1
Hello!
This is the same problem I have and it's very frustrating for buyers and sellers! Would you be able to share the process for adding quantity available box?
TIA!
Rasleen
1 Like
Excursionist
11 0 1

Hello, I am also having the same issue with debut theme. There are products where I only have one in stock. But there is not a notification to indicate the customer when adding more than one, that there is such an stock available. But they are able to add and able to go to the check out page without warning. I would appreciate support on this issue. Thanks. 

0 Likes