Customers able to add more quantity to cart than what's available

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi there! I've spent hours trying to figure this one out, hoping someone can help!! 

I noticed that on a product page, customers are able to add multiple quantities of an item to their cart, even when I don't have that many available. For example, I may have only 2 of a single item available but a customer can add even 8 or 9 using the quantity drop down on the product page. They only get notified that we don't have stock once they get to the check out page. So they won't be able to purchase more than what's in stock, but it's still a poor customer experience being able to select high quantities when they aren't actually available. Is there any way to limit the number in the quantity box drop down to what is actually available? 

I did see this page here with a solution but it didn't seem to work for me. I'm using Shopify's free Debut theme. I can figure out how to make simple edits to existing code but I am in no means a coder! 

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1733 48 156

You may want to first enable inventory tracking on the product and set the inventory policy to deny , for when products are sold out.

The customization you referenced is mainly about notifying or correcting excess quantities not actually preventing it in the first place

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi there, thanks - I have actually done that already but like you said, I'm just trying to notify customers when they select a quantity of an item that I don't have in stock (rather than prevent them from buying it, as I know this won't happen).

0 Likes

I am also struggling with this one, seems like a simple thing that Shopify should have in place as standard.

I get drop outs at the checkout because customers add too many items to their cart them just give up at the time you need them to continue. Very frustrating. Any idea when Shopify will link this to our tracked quantity?

Thank you 

0 Likes