Customising order fulfilment email with product price and (hopefully) metafield for COGS

Highlighted
Excursionist
45 0 6

Hi all

Like a lot of people I'm looking for a way to easily determine the profitability of my orders and include a basic COGS to my products.

Basically I'm hoping to find a way to calculate the profitability of each order based on a comparison of price to a COGS value for each product along with manually adding the postage cost to each order when I fulfill it.

I've had a good look at the apps etc though haven't found anything that will work for me, and was thinking it might be possible to utilise the Fulfillment request notification email to send an email to Zapier, which would then parse this email and create a new line in a Google Sheet for each order

Once I have it here I can create a chart etc and see trends (plus easily edit anything that is a bit wacky). I use a similar approach to create calender events for each order in Google Calendar (so I can see when they are due, their status etc all in one spot in a graphic layout rather than a list).

As I don't utilise the Compare price field I was going to use this to store the COGS value for each variant (plus I can upload these with the CSV) to begin with and then if necessary change to a metafield later if necessary.

The problem I'm trying to solve at the moment are:

1. How to display the price and compare_at_price values for each product in the fulfillment email?

2. I've created a metafield called c_f.delivery_cost which I enter on the order page and would love to include this in the email too?

Any help with either of these problems would be modst appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
166 0 33

Hi there Matt,

Phil from the Shopify Support team here. Interesting solution to resolving your COGS issue for your products. 

I believe I should have a solution for you in regards to question 1. How to display the price and compare_at_price values for each product in the fulfillment email?

When it comes to Shipping Confirmation notifications they actually have a bit of a different syntax that you need to use for the variables. I'm guessing you're talking about the Shipping Confirmation email, when you say fulfillment email? If not could you direct me to exactly what email notification you're trying to modify. Just go to Settings > Notifications in your admin and let me know the name of the notification you're trying to include this in. 

What I did in my Fulfillment Request and Shipping Confirmation emails is the following. I added in this snippet of code for where I wanted the regular product price and compare at price to show:

<p>Price: {{ line.line_item.price | money }}</p>
<p>Compare at price: {{ line.line_item.original_line_price | money }}</p>

This then showed the product price as well as the compare at price in the emails. 

As for number 2 I'm not actually familiar with how to include those into a email notification. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge on that aspect might be able to shed some light on that one for you. You can also reach out to our Shopify Experts who would likely know how to do this. 

Hope that helps :)

Phil

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
170 0 10

Hello everyone,

It’s been a while since I posted on here.  Some of you have checked in with me over the past few months asking when our app is due for release. It's been a terrible experience going through delay after delay. We simply want to deliver the best quality product that we can and the best value.

Glad to say that but we’ve  found the resource that we need to ensure that we deliver on our promise.

We also decided in August that we wanted to deliver a far better experience than the one we had built up until then.  The success of your business is our priority, and we won’t settle or short-change you with less than what you need.

I’ve extended our app into a multi-app, which means that it takes care of the core functions that you need to run a profitable retail business. You need to do more than just see your cost prices, you need to know which areas of your business are performing and what to do about it if it’s not. Our app allows you to add cost prices and we monitor the health of your store, showing you which decisions you need to take to keep cash flowing and profits growing.

We know retail. We’re a team of retail and tech professionals and we’re here to ensure your success, not just with this app, but with a series of modules that take you from strength  to strength as you grow your business.

We have the resources now to launch this Spring. We’ve had well over 100 shops sign up to trial our beta throughout 2016 until just yesterday. Please do sign up to trial our beta app by clicking under our logo above.

Our first 100 beta sign ups have been promised a whole year FREE, because we value those that trust and believe in us right at the start and to make up for the long delay.

However, if you’re not  one of those first 100 sign ups, we are offering you a special Christmas gift. You can pre-pay a whole year for just 1//3 of the price. That’s a whole year for $120. Some apps charge that per month. If you sign up to trial beta, you will be sent a link that allows you to access this deal which we are running during December only.

The elves are very busy ensuring your Prosperous New Year!

Kind regards,

Karen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
22 0 2

Hi Matt,

I think our app is what you are looking for: Revenue - real shipping cost + cogs of line items = Order profitability.

If you don't see the shipping integration you use, you can always upload shipping costs for each order.

https://apps.shopify.com/order-metrics-profit-analytics

Let me know if you have any questions hank@ordermetrics.io

Our software helps you lower shipping costs and improve your gross profit margin.
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi. 

As per 

How can I get the same line -- but for "cost per item" ?

My supplier wants me to verify each time on the cost we agreed upon... 

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0
Hi.

As per

How can I get the same line -- but for "cost per item" ?
My supplier wants me to verify each time on the cost we agreed upon...

Thank you!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 5

Hi, 

Have you found a solution to this? 

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0
No I have not. Can you please help me?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 5

Yes, so we have a solution where you would do this using meta fields manually within our private app done for you for $280 USD, or we can do this automatically but here investment would be $640. This cost is 1 time and directly for you. If interested in more information on this you can write me andres@ed-digital.com Have a good day 

0 Likes