Customized Checkout no longer available: ACTION REQUIRED!!!

Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
298 0 149

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for posting in this thread. We are taking these sort of comments under advisement, and your feedback isn't lost on us!

If there are any other developments in the near future, a member of the Shopify team will be sure to post back and let you know. :)

- Alex

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
24 0 14

Hey Alex M,

Thanks for taking the time to acknowledge to this thread.

It's a shame to see that no one from Shopify is able to offer anything more substantial, particularly given the time that their Customers and Partners have spent contributing to the thread. 

Another older thread on the same topic:
https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/ecommerce-design/t/checkout-scss-not-working-265353

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
14 0 3

I'm a developer and UX professional and I've been working with the Shopify platform for over a year now to build out a new store for a long time client (7 years). This is my first Shopify store and I was drawn to platform's ability to do POS as well as online stores all in one place. When I vetted the platform (over a year ago) I saw that checkout.scss was customizable and figured I could handle any necessary customization to the checkout process with ease (I'm an expert when it comes to CSS/SCSS). 

Now that I'm getting up to speed on the changes that have happened with the responsive checkout I'm deeply concerned that I've backed the wrong horse when it comes to platform. 

Locking every single store into one checkout boggles my mind. I appreciate that Shopify's trying to bring some good UX knowledge to the table, and by all means let that be the default settings, but let me customize from there. Put up the PCI compliance boundaries so I can't do anything stupid, but let me do everything else!

Minimum requirements in order for me to be able to use this platform:

1. Allow me to hide the country selection - in the admin I've set up my store so that I only ship to the US. There should NOT be a country selector in my checkout. At least let me manually hide it if you don't want to link up the shipping parameters to the checkout form
  2. Display the line item properties in the checkout order detail! These line item properties are hugely important to reassure customers that their order is correct before purchasing. Why aren't they shown? There's a whole thread about merchants losing business when this change was made: https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/ecommerce-design/t/responsive-checkout-and-line-item-properties-2184...

I'm loving everything else about this platform. The API is decent, the admin is great, and the POS apps are super-helpful, but if the one part of the platform that allows my clients to make money isn't customizable enough, none of the rest of that stuff matters. My client won't be making any money and the admin, the POS apps, etc, won't matter a bit.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
704 0 67

Hey Kevin, FWIW I believe LIPs are shown. At least, they are in a store I just built that uses them...

I'm a million different people
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
14 0 3

@rickydazla - Can you send me a screenshot? I've got them working in the cart (cause I can customize the cart) but they're not showing up in the checkout.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
704 0 67

Build yourself a bike: http://www.stinnerframeworks.com/products/osmpc

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
14 0 3

@rickydazla, first off, amazing product customization tool. Very nice.

I proceeded to the checkout and it looks like you're not using the Responsive Checkout. There are several things I'm seeing on your checkout that aren't available on mine (in addition to the LIPs), like the "Return to Cart" link. That'd be nice to have as well.

Are you on a Shopify Plus account? If not, how were you able to activate this checkout template? I don't have any of these options.

I spoke with a Shopify rep via chat earlier this evening and she confirmed that all merchants have to use the same checkout.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
704 0 67

Not Shopify Plus and nothing out of the ordinary activated AFAIK. Very little customization available beyond button and "highlight" colors, plus the logo and background images at the top... [Actually I would rather hide the LIPs:]

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9965 84 1469

@Kevin - There is still some stores floating around with the older checkout in place. If you are using an older one Support should be able to help you make the switch. 

FYI: You can hide the LIPs by prepending them with an underscore.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
2 Likes
Shopify Partner
114 0 43

I spoke with a Shopify rep via chat earlier this evening and she confirmed that all merchants have to use the same checkout.

You might not want to ask that kind of question to Shopify support, they have no idea what they are talking about... 

Even here on the forum, the few Shopify employees that commented on the subject were quite off topic or said things that never happened, so....

Anyway, there are 3 checkouts

- Legacy
- Responsive & Customizable (with the css file)
- Responsive 

I'm not sure any store is still on the legacy checkout, but a lot of old stores are still on the previous version of the responsive checkout that allows css customization. 
Actually, most of our stores are, and if at some point Shopify forces the 'upgrade', we'll have to close at least one of our shops that won't work anymore (the Japanese one).
I've tried to get a clear answer about this eventual auto-upgrade, but I didn't get any answer (and yes, that's the reason I'm a little pissed at Shopify right now... I can't even be sure that our website will still be functional tomorrow...)

★Shopify tweaker★
2 Likes