Customized Checkout no longer available: ACTION REQUIRED!!!

Shopify Expert
9764 86 1511

I'll jump in to clarify that whilst Shopify Scripts is currently a Plus feature, the Checkout API - which is part of the new Sales Channels SDK - is not.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
148 0 16

Wow! What a suprise! Upgrading to the new checkout only to discover that:

1) it's not css-customizable

2) ugly and doesn't correctly support cyrillyc charcters

3) change isn't reversible

Shopify, ARE KIDDING? WTF???

★ Shopify Customer/Order Auto Tag App → 99rabbits.com ★
1 Like
Shopify Partner
120 0 24

Thanks for the clarification Jason. So I guess I'll ask the question again. Does the checkout api give us another option here?

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hey Jason - It looks like your checkout javascript injection via Google Analytics is no longer working. Any tips or updates here for a work-around?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
14 0 3

Just discovered another major issue with the Checkout.

It only displays the featured product image thumbnail. So if I'm selling a chair with three variants: red, blue, and yellow and a customer adds a yellow one to their cart, when they get to the checkout, the image is the red chair. It doesn't display the variant-specific image, even though I can easily display that in my cart.

This results in lost sales. Customers have added a yellow chair to their cart, but Shopify's uncustomizable checkout means their yellow chair is displayed as a red chair.  Looking through the forums shows that this is a years old issue, and that it was "solved" previously using custom CSS to hide the useless and wrong thumbnail images.

Shopify, please listen. Conversions are going down in many cases because of your restricted checkout styles. This means I'm paying you fewer transaction fees and YOU Shopify are losing money. 

I listened to the Shopify Unite conference Keynote where the founders talked about how Shopify was the "designer-friendly, customize everything, make it YOUR store" e-commerce platform, and all I could think about was the silence from Shopify on this thread.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
14 0 3

Just tweeted a link to this thread to @shopify. We'll see if that gets any attention. The pattern I see with Shopify forum posts is one response from a Shopify employee, and then it dies on the vine with unanswered questions.

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
114 0 45

I'm afraid it won't change any time soon.
And there is, in my opinion, a simple reason (that I clearly think is a long term mistake)

Shopify, please listen. Conversions are going down in many cases because of your restricted checkout styles. This means I'm paying you fewer transaction fees and YOU Shopify are losing money. 

Think global. Shopify set up a "simple" universal checkout for exactly that reason, make more money in transaction fees. 

Something like 90%+ of their customer have no ability to tweak anything, so they took over the checkout, using big datas to create the most efficient "average" checkout for conversion. 
This checkout probably works far better than the old one for 90% of shopify merchants, and Shopify makes more money with absolutely no consideration for the other 10% that need more control on the checkout. 

If you are a slightly bigger shop, then the answer is > go for Shopify Plus, which will be even more money for Shopify (by the way, they increased the pricing of plus a few months ago)

If you can't afford Plus, and you need customization, then your're fu...ed.

This is a mistake for two reasons

• Shopify relies on third party developpers a lot for their app and theme, and this doesn't show much consideration for those that make them live with the risk of having the best of them turning down on Shopify for something else. 
  • The "middle" tier customers are those less likely to move to another platform, and most likely to have a long term healthy business.  If you can afford plus, you can also afford to migrate to another platform (most will stay, of course, but it's a risk). If you are in the lower tier, you have something like 90% chances your business will fail within 3 years, and no more money for Shopify. 

Or, Shopify wants only Plus customers for the prestige of their healthy business and lower tier customers that fails their business (at the end, they pay for their store, no matter they success or not). Middle tier customers are the most time consuming customers since they want always more and more (customizations, etc...) but don't pay much more for it.  (Seriously, did you read the blog post about "Quitting your job is easier than you think, start a business on Shopify" ? I though I was hallucinating the first time I saw it. 90% chance to fail, but go, quit your job, we even give you a resignation letter sample ! )
Aka. Get rid of the 10% of your customer taking 90% of your time policy.

Notice that all this new Shopify policy came in place more or less at the same timing Shopify was introduced to the share market (started at 40 11 month ago, 32 today, so not such a good deal for investors apparently...), which would explain the "profit first" policy. 

Honestly, I'd be really interested in hearing from Toby his thoughs and some justifications on why Shopify services quality dropped that much the past 18 months and what he intends to do for the future. Because if we still manage to work well with Shopify, I'm kind of sad that it's not the "Shopify started with our own shop" policy anymore.

★Shopify tweaker★
2 Likes
Shopify Partner
1658 48 167

@Kevin Powell 

featured product image thumbnail

.....This results in lost sales. Customers have added a yellow chair to their cart, but Shopify's uncustomizable checkout means their yellow chair is displayed as a red chair.  L.... "solved" previously using custom CSS to hide the useless and wrong thumbnail images.

Back this up with data, customer feedback and send it to support@shopify.com

Featured image being a collage of available variant colors is the better option. Elsewhere in theme use variant linkedimages for hero shots( or a\b test if collage is better for the market).

Shopify, please listen. ... Shopify are losing money.

Ineffectual , actual pleas need to be directed to support@shopify.com anything else is forum slacktavism and only fuels frustration.*

The forums are a good place to work out the details of how a feature would work, but actually requesting it through email shows effort and need.

designer-friendly, customize everything, make it YOUR store

I have a leased car , I want to mod that car to fit my dream, modding costs X. So if I don't have X that in some way makes it not my car?

Need custom checkout? get shopify-plus. Can't afford plus? chances are it's not needed but the feeling of control is wanted.

If it's mission critical then shopify is not the platform for the business requirements.

and all I could think about was the silence from Shopify on this thread.

We'll see if that gets any attention. The pattern I see with Shopify forum posts is one response from a Shopify employee,

tldr; feature-requests@shopify.com

This is a self-involved mindset that only serves frustation , there are thousands of others posts just like this with people venting the same things followed by others with useless +1s but no one knows what they are /nodding about. Seriously there are posts with multiple conversation going on simulatanesouly with random +1's(or 'add me's) thrown in, it's insane, google trusted is a prime example.

Forums glom on, so what could a company possibly use to decide which are random diamonds, if only there was something like say an email address to help them know what customers want: feature-requests@shopify.com*

and then it dies on the vine with unanswered questions.

Reread what gurus said without infering that this is a Q&A. The shopify employees did thier jobs gave some feedback and listed actions that will happen or for users to take(emailing support).

If this is something you want then:

1. Subscribe https://ecommerce.shopify.com/posts/304104/subscription
  2. Guide all new "+1'ers", "me too'ers",etc to use the support@shopify.com and feature-requests@shopify.com emails*
  3. Make a canned reponse these new use can just c&p, get people to confirm they've done that and aren't just more slacktivists.
  4. Visit other similar forum topics and help others get results.
  5. Or list a platform that meets requirements and recommend it.

*this may be changing there has been a marked upswing in forum support since unite-2016 and the feature request post has been deleted.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
16 0 10

@Paul Newton

I completely disagree with your comments. You are way off base.

These forums are one of the few places dedicated customers and consultants can vent frustration and  hope to possibly get the attention of people who matter at Shopify. This is a serious issue, and something needs to be done.

You don't have to be Einstein to realize that conversions WILL go down if the customer puts a yellow chair in their cart, but is greeted with an image of a red chair at checkout. No questions asked. No data needed. And I'm a data guy.

1 Like
Shopify Expert
685 0 68

Tim, if you use Variant Images then a yellow chair added to Cart should result in a yellow chair shown through Checkout: https://docs.shopify.com/manual/products/product-variant-images – is that not working for you or something preventing you from doing that?

Paul, yawn.

I'm a million different people
0 Likes