Customized Checkout no longer available: ACTION REQUIRED!!!

Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Does anyone know if the checkout.scss is available now after many complaints? I could not find this file to edit the check out css. I've spent the last 10 months working on an ecommerce idea using shopify as the front end and sadly if I can't tweak the checkout css, I will  have to find a different platform that allows me to customize the checkout experience with css.  I just need to hide the product thumbnail in the check out page but this seems impossible without access to the checkout.scss. Shopify really sucks if it forces us to upgrade to plus to be able to edit the checkout css.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
114 0 45

Nope, it's not back and it will never be. 

Shopify's working on some level of customization available from the settings page (not quite ready yet), but the checkout.css is definetely off the table for good. 

Source: Shopify checkout developers

★Shopify tweaker★
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
386 0 43

@Jordy Incorrect, works fine if you on a Shopify Plus plan. Althought that might not be economically viable option for most shop owners.

"Good design is good business"
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
114 0 45

Well, we'll asume you haven't read the thread Kasimir. 
It's that, or you can't read a conversation flow.
Either case, poluting answer.

★Shopify tweaker★
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
386 0 43

@Jordy I appreciate your point of view and you have pointed out that its available for Shopify Plus customers (as is the case), but you said its not back while in fact it was reintroduced to Shopify Plus customers.

"Good design is good business"
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
114 0 45

Vutronic asked about non plus plans. 
And he mentionned

Shopify really sucks if it forces us to upgrade to plus to be able to edit the checkout css.

Meaning that he's perfectly aware of the situation.
I answered his question, accurately.

★Shopify tweaker★
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Thanks for the confirmation @Jordy. Kasimir, I understand that you can upgrade to plus to gain access to the checkout css but in my case I just need to hide the thumbnail and a few other properties so it doesn't make sense to upgrade.

The Shopify person who came up with this idea,hiding the checkout.scss,  is an idiot. My ecommerce dream will crash if I can't find a workaround. Maybe my relationship with Shopify ends here. Hello WooCommerce...

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
156 4 13

Hello Vutronic,
you can do some stuff of checkout page using customization. 
You can see one of example here in my site. Its not supported by Shopify

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
114 0 45

WhiteWater, Jivan

Well, the only possible solution at the time is a hack that is not supported and might disapear at anytime. 
I wouldn't recommend to a new merchant to base his whole business model on that kind of uncertainty. 

If someone absolutely need (a mater of life and death) to customize the checkout and can't afford plus, then I would strongly recommend not to chose Shopify.

And I know what I'm talking about, we almost lost our business when they removed the .css file. 
Fortunately, Shopify made the updates we needed, so we wouln't be lost anymore if they'd remove the css hack (but we'd certainly have issues, 'cause that css sheet is still very useful).

From my merchant point of view: don't use it.
From my developer point of view: yes, there is one solution but this has was found by Jason, and I believe developers should follow his advise here: 
The app developer should also make that clear that this is a hacky approach so each merchant can assess the risk accordingly. Is there some install instructions for that app online? I'd love to take a peek at it."

★Shopify tweaker★
1 Like
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Jivan - so how do I hide the thumbnail on the shopify checkout page?

0 Likes