Customized Checkout no longer available: ACTION REQUIRED!!!

Shopify Partner
1658 48 168

I completely disagree with your comments. You are way off base.

These forums are one of the few places dedicated customers and consultants can vent frustration and  hope to possibly get the attention of people who matter at Shopify. This is a serious issue, and something needs to be done.

I never refuted the forums are not a place for venting, reread my statements, but conflating that as the solution to getting results is silliness, shopify's historical stance on feature requests is clear, i outlined it, just do the thing that works,not the thing that gives good feels temporarily.

My comments were about being effective and getting results versus the afterglow of venting in random forum posts. If there is a serious issue there is something everyone can do, exactly what i outlined(and asterisked) submit a feature-request then post that you did so, anything else is slacktivism +1, or resenting the person that tells it as it is. If being able to customize the cart is mission critical how is anything i listed a business should do way off base?

You don't have to be Einstein to realize that conversions WILL go down if the customer puts a yellow chair in their cart, but is greeted with an image of a red chair at checkout. No questions asked. No data needed. And I'm a data guy.

Never said conversions wont be lower, but gave an interim solution. There are 2 conversations here, reread my statements for clarity.  There is #1 the actual topic about customizing the cart as a standard feature,  the other #2 is about a bug that should be reported as such and in-depth discussion on bug-work-arounds should happen elsewhere.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
14 0 3

@Paul L. Newton,

Thank you for bringing up the other channels of communication. That's part of why I tweeted about the issue, because I was unsure of how else to communicate the bugs I'm experiencing. For what it's worth, Shopify did respond to me on twitter and directed me to the Checkout customization docs. These don't solve my problem, but they did take the time to respond through that channel, so that is a meaningful way to get in touch.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further, and though I disagree with many of Paul's statements, I'd rather focus on the issue at hand: lack of customization of the checkout. 

I started vetting and planning my Shopify store over a year ago - when checkout customization via a CSS file was available, documented, and standard on all Shopify plans. A few months ago when I began to implement the checkout portion of our store, I discovered that the checkout customization option was gone. Currently I feel I've invested too many hours to simply abandon Shopify for another e-commerce platform, though if this issue continues to go unresolved that may be the path we have to choose. We don't want to. I believe the general consensus of this thread is that we don't agree with the rationale Shopify's given for removing checkout.css and we want support for checkout.css to return.

I admit I conflated this thread with a discussion about my perceived lack of quality technical support on behalf of Shopify and for that I apologize. I'm still seeking a better channel to find more quality developer-level support from Shopify and this forum is not that place. If anybody knows of any Shopify developers who are willing to share their emails I'd love to communicate with devs or Product Owners directly.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
14 0 3

My sincerest apologies. Variant images do work on checkout. I attempted to create a basic test case in a development store this evening and proved that everything is working as expected. Sorry for the false alarm.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1658 48 168

Thank you for bringing up the other channels of communication. That's part of why I tweeted about the issue, because I was unsure of how else to communicate the bugs I'm experiencing.

A cliche that happens hourly, but you can't know what you don't know. Anything shopify related for beginners currently defaults to emailing support@shopify.com and ask them for guidance. But there's no Shopify-101 required coursework that hammers that fact home.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further, and though I disagree with many of Paul's statements.

Part of why these threads exist is from not understanding why the feature was changed and the discussion that creates has value towards making a solid case against that decision. Disagreeing is not sidetracking because feature requests go to feature-requests@shopify.com

focus on the issue at hand: lack of customization of the checkout. 

To parapharse Jordy, to make a point about the hidden elephant in the room

Anyway, there are 3 checkouts

- Legacy
- Responsive & Customizable (with the css file)
- Responsive 

There are now ~4? types of checkout customization:  1&2  are css only based customiziaton (legacy, responsive with custom css) 3 is responsive with styling settings, 4 is customization of checkout.liquid itself and css on the plus plan. That must be a royal pita to maintain that type of fragmentation. Is cost of pita < platform wide feature?

That has created several different feature requests in this 1 thread, can you spot them all?

I started vetting and planning my Shopify store over a year ago - w.... few months ago ...., I discovered that the checkout customization option was gone.

Lead with that, make the case and submit it, no one likes be accused of bait&switch. But consider it wasn't enough to abandon platform.

Currently I feel I've invested too many hours to simply abandon Shopify for another e-commerce platform,

That is a such a dangerous notion to stake a business on that is has a name: Sunk Cost Fallacy( you can even pick a flavor trope, wikipedia ).  Shopifys platform is a tool, an amazing tool, but giving it that much control over business decisions?

though if this issue continues to go unresolved that may be the path we have to choose.We don't want to.

If you do, do it loudly please, document the switch over  loudly and publicly, because no one else here has despite the fist shaking.

I believe the general consensus of this thread is that we don't agree with the rationale Shopify's given for removing checkout.css and we want support for checkout.css to return.

~20 people motivated(financially|personally)(this thread) vs 240,000 stores is the scale of the issue that must be understood. To change that requires: outreach -> document -> petition -> submit -> repeat.

I'm still seeking a better channel to find more quality developer-level support from Shopify and this forum is not that place.

If anybody knows of any Shopify developers who are willing to share their emails I'd love to communicate with devs or Product Owners directly.

Going to assume by developer support you do mean Jaded-Pixel|Shopify employees, some have given out direct contact info in specific posts here( for that posts specific reasons) so handing em out not cool. Twit at the shopify-devs twitter account, query quora, stalk stack-exhange. Tobi is on twitter can't get anymore owner than that. Just realize all those channels are async and not good for conversation about a done deal.

Otherwise the forums are a great place to get help from third party developers, apply to the partners program btw ,talk with your partner manager, and get in the partner forum it can be dead at time but useful and low noise.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1658 48 168

My sincerest apologies. Variant images do work on checkout. I attempted to create a basic test case in a development store this evening and proved that everything is working as expected. Sorry for the false alarm.

This issues come up several times over the years if you do find a repeatable case, ping support and if you make a topic about it,ping me too please would like to see it.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
36 0 3

And it's final, all shops have to downgrade to the new checkout before july 1st,.. :(

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1658 48 168

all shops have to downgrade to the new checkout before july 1st

Harold linkable Source?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
36 0 3

One of my customers received an email:

ACTION REQUIRED
Upgrade your checkout by July 1, 2016

Hi ......,

To meet new security and compliance standards, you need to upgrade to the latest checkout version by July 1, 2016. This free upgrade ensures that ........ will continue to securely accept and process card payments.

<button>

The new checkout version no longer supports CSS customization. If you've customized your CSS, you'll need to recreate your checkout content before it's automatically updated on July 1, 2016.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1658 48 168

Thanks for the headsup.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
114 0 45

Same here. 

We've sent an email to Shopify support to confirm what they intend to do precisely. 

The checkout not being adapted to the Japanese market, if we upgrade now, we can expect a huge rise in support inquiries and a huge drop in sales (70% is a reasonable number). 

So now we have 3 solutions (we can't pay for Plus)

1. Shopify makes the (very minimum) necessary changes to adapt the checkout to the Japanese market (mainly reorder the address fields).
  2. Or, we create our own checkout/API to process orders outside of Shopify checkout.
  3. Or, we leave Shopify.

Now we need to determine which of option 2 and 3 is the most costly. Though between 2 and 3, and regarding how badly this has been handled by Shopify, my first "emotional" reaction would be to leave.

★Shopify tweaker★
0 Likes