Customized Checkout no longer available: ACTION REQUIRED!!!

9 0 0

I hope some higher up managers at Magento will read this thread and act accordingly. This is Magento's chance to steal clients from Shopify. Offer us open sourced custom CSS abilities at a reasonable price and many of us will leave Shopify. 

0 Likes
2 0 0

I have been working with Magento and Shoptify for 3 years, from my experience, magento can handle 200k+ products while the number is 100k+ with shoptify

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
25 0 3

We need the option to hide the Paypal Button in the first checkout page.

Now that Paypal replaced the old "new page approach" with a really bad popup, the ability to edit more options in the checkout is becoming even more urgent. 

Many clients contacted us saying that sometimes the Paypal popup window fails. It displays the loading icon and never reach the login view.

We experienced drastic sales drop because of this.

Unfortanetely we cannot get rid of Paypal since it still being one of the main payments method, but we could deprioritize it by hiding that horrible Paypal Express Button in the firts page of the checkout process.

And even if it would work correctly, the whole "Pay with PayPal" experience has not being well integrated. (I'm a senior UX designer so I know what I'm talking about ). 

1) When you access the checkout process from mobile, the "Gift Card / Discount code" input is        hidden in the "Order Details" drop down menu. The iput is not easily discoravable , infact most of the  clients use the input box at the payment step, which is visible as firt option in the page. 

Having the Pay with Paypal button as main option in the first checkout page, makes the discount input  even less discoravable. The customer who wants to apply a discount and pay with Paypal will have  the feeling that we are trying to hide the discount option from him and they will abandon the checkout  process.

So if the first checkout page should either get rid of the PayPal button or display the discount input as first option. 

2) From Desktop if you are a returning customer, click on the Paypal Button, without entering you shipping address, and then close the popup view without login, the page will automatically jump to the next step ( the last one if there is only 1 shipping option ), assuming you want to use your default shipping address.. which might be true or not. 

If the asumption is wrong, the customere will have to return back by 1 or 2 steps to enter the correct address, causing probabably a checkout abandonment. 

Even if the assumption is correct is not intuitive to redirect to the next step after aborting a Payment process. Why is going to the next step if I meant to return back? If the checkout redirects the customer to "Payment and Invoice" ( skipping the shipping address ) how does it know which address has been applied since the information is not avaible in the last step ? 

As far as I know the main goal of a Ecommerce is to sell a product or service.

Shopify, you can add as many funky features you want, but if you fail your customers blocking them from reaching their main goal, then there is no reason to use your platform. 

0 Likes
Explorer
258 0 21

Please read your PayPal user agreement. It is that that determines where the PayPal button appears. It can be removed if you want (there are loads of workarounds on the forum) but all of them will put you in breach of the user agreement. That might or might not be important to you but it is important to be aware of why the button appears where it does.

Discounts can be handled as well in better ways. Again there is loads of code around for that. 

PayPal Express is an alternative checkout so it makes no sense for it to appear anywhere but on the cart page or at the front of the checkout process.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
25 0 3

They only workaround seems to be the ckeout.scc approach which has been removed by Shopify.

The issue is that the PayPal button is not well integrated with the rest of the system. 
First of all you cannot propose the Checkout Button before the Discout input. 
And to be honest the discount button shouldn't even be part of the chekout, it should be in the cart and applied before the customer starts the checkout process. ( but this is another topic ). 

I run several ecommerces with Shopify and as you probably know, discounts strategy is really important for a ecommerce. 

Second, as you can read from my prevoius comment, there are some side effected, derived by bad integration of the button, as jumping automatically to the next step if you abort the Paypal Express payment and you are a returning customer. 

0 Likes
9 0 0

Breach of user agreement? Really? No. No. No. This is not a, "breach of user agreement." Many of us have customized our CSS shopping carts in accordance with Shopify's user agreement. Shopify then changed their policy and they only way to customize our carts now is to upgrade our plans at a minimum of $300 a month. Greed trumps ethics. This is why many of us on this thread are so angry with Shopify. In the end, we are the fools. We should never have given Shopify our trust to customize our CSS carts. We are using their platform and they can change their rules at will without regard for their customers. If I could find another ecommerce platform with reasonable costs where I can customize the CSS code, I would switch in a heartbeat. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
114 0 45

There are 3 different things here. 

1. Where the button is placed, which is determined by PayPal EC's term of use. 
    It should be at the first step of the checkout at least.  The fact that css allowed to hide it, or that most merchants in control of their checkout do not put that button at the first step is not relevant in paypal<>shopify agreements. 
    If Shopify wants to integrate paypal's services, it has to respect the agreements.

2. Express checkout implementation isn't very efficient. They could have done a few things to improve it. Offering the discount field before the paypal button would have been a good solution (on the same page, but with the paypal button at the bottom, not the top, that doesn't breach paypal terms of use). 
    They could also have added an option to take back the shipping address from paypal if the customer changes it on paypal.
    And finaly, they could have implemented a "1 step" checkout for those using only paypal EC, so the shipping could be added to the order total. 

3. Shopify messing around with functionalities, and that's another problem. 

If I do understand many of Shopify concerns, and mainly the fact they need to make money, a lot, to match their shareholders expectations, the worst thing they ever did was to remove the checkout.css functionality and limit it to plus customers. 

The only possible reason here is to drag as many merchants as possible to plus, with absolutely no regards for the others. 

The only "official" reason they gave us was "security" issues, which is ridiculous. 
Some code might be injected via CSS and compromise PCI compliance, I don't know, I'm not qualified to answer this. However, all experts I talked with said that at least, they could have limited what can be put in the css file. They could have, very simply, limited to basic css, with not external link allowed. And voila, no compliance issue. 

Shopify's terms and conditions are not clear about this. 
They guarantee a "life time pricing" when you sign up. But they don't guarantee the functionalities. 
Meaning that they can virtually breach the "life time pricing guarantee" by downgrading your plan. 

But what Shopify probably thinks is that there are plenty of other options, including other paypal services, so if EC doesn't fit your needs, get another one. 
The problem here is that in some countries, there are no other alternatives. (I know, we just got Stripe in Japan a few months ago, but we did struggle for years before that). 
Shopify is simply not optimized for non US/Canada customers.

They should never have removed the checkout.css though. That did break a lot of busineses.

★Shopify tweaker★
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
120 0 24

Shopify removing checkout.css functionality for "security reasons" is an outright lie. Plus members still have access to customize their checkouts but no one else. 

I guess your site is even more secure when you pay hundreds of dollars per month. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
114 0 45

In its basic definition, it's not a lie. 
But they could have kept it and secured it with automated processes. 

The fact that plus customers have access to it doesn't prove anything. Plus customers have account managers and direct access to the tech team. Their checkout and checkout.css templates might be subject to Shopify review before going live to avoid any security issues. 
They wouldn't be able to review all templates for all their customers. 

But again, they could simply filter the css file content and refuse some specific synthax to keep it secured.

★Shopify tweaker★
0 Likes
9 0 0

... and I spent more than $5,000 hiring a coder to cutsomize Shopify's CSS so that it integrated with my website seamlessly. It worked flawlessly. I did not "add" any functionality to the checkout pages. I simply changed the colors, the look, spacing, and font in Adobe Illustrator and I sent these files to my coder. He did the rest. It took a full years worth of work but in the end it was worth it. I had the most beautiful website. As far as I know, Magento is the only secure eccomerce site the allows full CSS customization but Magento was designed for large corporations with deep pockets and not for the small business person. If there is somewhere else I can go where I would be "guaranteed" custom CSS capabilities I would switch.

0 Likes