Customizing emails in Digital Downloads App

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Hello forum,

I recently downloaded the Digital Downloads App and I'm trying to figure out how to bring in the logo of my store into the email. Any ideas? I talked to shopify support and they said to add the following liquid to the top:

{{ shop.email_logo_url }}

This doesn't work and just leaves a blank space in the test email. If anyone has any ideas on how to do this that would be awesome!

Thanks.

Svetlana

Highlighted

Hi Svetlana,

The Shopify Digital Downloads app unfortunately does not support HTML emails, which would be needed to display logos etc. So it's only possible to use plain text to create and customize those emails :(

Hopefully Shopify update the app at some point, so it becomes possible.

Best regards,
Bjorn

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Thanks Bjorn! I was afraid of that but was coming to the same conclusion after spending hours testing out everything I could think of and talking to three different Shopify support reps none of whom could give me a solution. It's a shame too because from a customer experience perspective, you would want your store's emails to have a cohesive branded look. The way emails from this app come out is very disjointed from the rest of your store.

Appreciate your chiming in and confirming for me :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Guys,

I've been facing the same issue, just had a guru tell me they could fix it, only to find out they can't.  The same thing happened months ago when I asked for the same kind of "fix" for the customer contact emails.  If you go into customers and click on an email address to send a message to a customer, omg, it looks as bad as the digital downloads email.  It picks up none of the logo/images/color/formatting - nothing - from the regular email templates. 

The bad thing is, you send an order confirmation email and it looks great - then it is followed by one of these other two, and they look awful - you totally disrupt the brand carryover.  I've seriously considered hiring a guru to put the code in for me as a custom order - but it really should be part of the theme/shopify set up.  It's a basic thing, not a special one - I think these emails were overlooked when they were coded, because they are outside the regular notification system.  Plus, I'm sure as soon as I pay to have it done, then they'll copy the code into it for everyone, lol, as well they should have done in the first place.

I LOVE SHOPIFY and have always had a lot of luck with THE GURUS.  The last one told me that they will only make the change when enough people ask for it, but you have to specifically ask that they put in that request when they tell you they cannot do it.

So Bjorn, is there a free app that would take care of this?  I looked around in the app store, but they mostly focus on the regular customer notification emails (as does shopify).  We need one that will work on the stepchildren emails that shopify has not fixed and will not pick up the template options we set up.  Any ideas?

Also, in the customer emails (go into customers on the dashboard, click a customer email to send them a message) . . . there is no ability to include a hyperlink.  So to send them a link to a product page as they request, I have to cut and paste the entire product code (which can be long and ugly).  Do that for ten products and omg, it looks awful.  Is there an easy way to include a hyperlink(s) to product pages in the customer email after an inquiry?

Final question - if I have to hire a guru to do these, can I choose the guru?  I've had some awfully competent and nice folks help me from time to time.

Svetlana . . . ditto everything you said :- ).  Wonder how many other people are struggling with this but not on the forums?  I never go here, lol!

Would love to find a free app that would address these two areas in the shopify email system.  I don't have much hope of them fixing it soon - I've been waiting almost a year.

Mandy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Hey Mandy,

To clarify on some this, let me ask a question. Which auto responder do you use for customer emails in general? I'm setting everything up in Klaviyo and the great thing about them (if you're not familiar) is they were literally gold for a shopify store. I don't know how you customized the original notification emails for Shopify (like the order confirmation, shipment confirmation, etc.). But Klaivyo has these Shopify templates already pre-built and you can customize them in Klaviyo and it will generate the HTML code for your design, which you can then take and export back into the Shopify notification emails for the exact same look.

I tried doing the same thing for the Digital Downloads app email but unfortunately as I found out, it doesn't take full HTML code but liquid so I can't make this work for the downloads email. That's why I originally posted here (per the suggestion of one shopify support reps I spoke with yesterday) hoping that there was a liquid out there that will pull in my logo. Clearly no such luck :/.

Now I haven't gotten as far as the customer emails but I poked around the customer dashboard as you mentioned above and it looks like you edit those customer contact notification emails in the exact same way as the order confirmation, shipping confirmation and anything else that goes out to your customers automatically. So the reason I say all of this about Klaviyo templates is that you can do the same with these contact emails as the other notifications. So you can make them look pretty and brand cohesive, then copy the code and your customer contact emails will be awesome, that would include the product links too. I hope this helps you but if you need any other info, I'm happy to help to give you more details, just let me know :)

Svetlana

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi SV,

Thanks for the reply.  To answer your first question about which auto responder - I just use the built in shopify notifications settings.  I was able to set up logo image, etc just from there using the liquify elements in the templates.  The image is cute and adds color, so that worked.  But these two, the digital downloads app and just a regular email to customer (outside of an order/shipment scenario) - as you found out - won't accept the HTML code, and the LIQUIFY image won't work either..

My guru actually changed the code on the digital downloads for me (thinking I had done something wrong) but it just won't accept the image in the html.  He thought it had worked, but it wouldn't :- )

Funny you mentioned Klaivyo.  I was just on their app page, trying to find out if the templates would actually WORK for these two "unusual" shopify emails.  Haven't found an answer to that yet - but I may just download it and try and see what I can do,based on what you said!  I try to keep the apps I use to the bare minimum so I don't have coding conflicts :- ), but at this point, the email look and the link thing are driving me mad.

I suspect that KLAIVYO won't work on the customer contact email - from the customer acccount section.  But I am sooooo willing to try it - fingers crossed!  Thanks for the idea, I was looking at their app and then saw your post, so I decided to chime in here first!

I wanted SHOPIFY to know there are multiple voices out there asking for this :- ).  I do love shopify.  I just think these two email notifications were an oversight in the coding lapses.

THANKS SO MUCH for the suggestion, and best of luck with your own email challenges, lol!

Mandy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

You're very welcome Mandy! I hope the idea helps you. Just in case here's a link to the Klaviyo tutorial on how to edit the templates there and export the code into your shopify notification emails:

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005080587-Personalize-and-Export-Shopify-Notification-...

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005085167-Export-the-HTML-for-an-Email-Template

I haven't played with all of the notification emails and the customer contact is definitely one of them but my plan is to make all of my email communications look the same from a branding perspective so I'm going to eventually go through all the notifications in Shopify, design them in Klaviyo and import the code from Klaviyo into Shopify! Just based on what I've done with the other emails so far makes me think that it will be possible with the customer contact emails too so I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it does work. No sense paying someone to do this when it's so easy to do yourself and hopefully saves you some headaches :)

Svetlana

0 Likes
Highlighted

You could also check out my OrderlyEmails app, which is built specifically for the Shopify Notification: https://apps.shopify.com/email-templates

?

Regarding hiring someone to ‘fix’ the Digital Dowloads emails for you, it’s not technically possible. That app only supports plain text emails, so only Shopify can fix that by updating the app.

Anyway, best of luck to you both no matter what you use.

Kind regards,

Bjorn

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Born,

Thanks so much - I was looking at orderly too, earlier :- ).   The thing about KLAVIYO is that it's mostly an email marketing program so it's kind of overkill for me.  I only need one tiny piece of it :- ).  And ALL OF MY SHOPIFY emails work great and I like how they look, just using the shopify liquify customizations.  So I will check into ORDERLY before deciding.

I didn't mean to sound derogatory when I said "fix" the DIGITAL email :- ), it's just that it doesn't have the same capability carried over to it as all the other shopify notifications - that seems like an oversight, meaning . . . unintentional to have such a simple system that works great for all but 2 of the possible emails you have to send. 

But may I ask you to clarify this:

That app only supports plain text emails, so only Shopify can fix that by updating the app.

Are you saying that I could not hire A SHOPIFY GURU to change code to the app on my shoppe so that it could accept my logo image into the email?  I took it to mean that you were saying SHOPIFY itself would have to choose to change the coding in the app "site wide" so to speak - the original program (sorry, not a techie, my terminology is woeful) :- )?

So is that true also for when you go into customers and click on a customer email address to send them an email about something unrelated to a purchase or shipment (thus, outside the normal sale notifications which already allow you to customize with logo image, etc.)?

Both of these would require a coding/program change by SHOPIFY, not just for my shoppe, but to the app (original) program itself?

Bummer.  But I'll look into ORDERLY as you suggested as well and see if it will let me make the changes I need so all my email communications look the same. :- )  If not, then I guess I'll go down the KLAVIYO road - I just don't care about all the marketing/tracking stuff it does.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I was hoping I could hire a guru to help change the code just for me, but I think you're saying I can't.  Thanks to both of you for your help and ideas.

Happy Friday! :- )

Mandy

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Bjorn,

I just looked at ORDERLY - but I think I can't use it because I am on the BASIC SHOPIFY plan - is that right?  I'm still setting up my store and it won't be really fully launched for another 6 months or so, so I went for the basic plan for the 2 years it is taking me to get it set up (it's very creative and not your usual use of a shoppe, to say the least).

I do see that ORDERLY listed the CUSTOMER CONTACT form as one of those it transforms, which is one of the 2 I need - just not the DIGITAL DOWNLOAD email - shopify will have to update that app for us if ever we get that ;- ) it seems.  I've looked at other digital download apps, paid versions, as a lot of my listings will be for digital products - but so far the shopify digital app works just fine (it just has a darn ugly email).

Too bad, I was just about to do a test of ORDERLEY to see how it looked.  Bummed again.  Oh well - your app looks great, by the way.

Thanks for trying to help.

Mandy

0 Likes