Data Design: Products with Style No.

David_Link
Shopify Partner
6 0 2

Hi,

This is a question about setting up our Product Data.

We are migrating our data from Magento to Shopify.   We sell apparel.   Each product has a Style No. (eq. 1703BR - Crew Neck Shirt).  Each product variant has a Color and Size.  Each variant has a unique UPC (eq. 123401137936 - Crew Neck Shirt Black/L).  One Style No. is associated with many UPCs.

What is the best way to set up our product data in Shopify?

I understand products have "handles", and Variants have "SKUs" and "Barcodes/UPCs".   

I am able to set up products with either CSV import, or via API calls.   

I noticed Product Handles are not visible on the Admin screen, nor to customers. Only via code.  Nor are Variant Barecodes/UPCs visiable on order details.  Why is that? 

Ideally we would like to assign our Style No. to the product.  Then assign our UPCs to the SKUs and be done.   Because we can't add Style No. to the product, I've tried using our Style No. in the SKU, repeating them on each variant for that product, and using our UPCs in the Barcode.    I believe this will be a problem for fulfillment - as I believe only SKUs are given in Order Data Downloads.

How have other people dealt with selling clothing, that use product style no.?  

Thanks,

David Link

New York

Mandelbrotian
Shopify Partner
132 1 19

Hi David,

Have you considered adding the Style Numbers as a tag to the product? It will have the 1-n variant relationship you're looking for and will come through on the orders export under tags. That way you can have the style number come through in the tags, and the UPC come through as an SKU on the variant.

If you need to make these visible to customers you can always add them to the required notifications/pages using liquid.

I've got another client who runs a similar system for a fashion store and it works well for him. It's fairly easy to extract the tags programatically if you need to process them further down the line, we currently do this in google sheets to generate analytics data and that works fine.

Cheers,

Elliott

Feeling a bit lost? Contact elliot@mandelbrotian.com for help with theme setup, alterations, custom functionality, and app development.
0 Likes
David_Link
Shopify Partner
6 0 2

Thank you very much Elliott for your answer. 

I did consider using Product Tags to hold our Style No., but shied away from it because the example tags in the placeholder are: "Vintage, cotton, Summer", which are more of a grouping rather then a unique identifier.

I tried it.  You say the tags will come through on the orders export under tags.  However, that is not the case:  The doc says the tag field in the order export are "The tags associated with the order."

How are you pulling orders for your customer who is using Product Tags to hold their style no.?  Are you pulling them via the API?

Thank you for your help.

David

0 Likes
Mandelbrotian
Shopify Partner
132 1 19

Oops! You are correct, the Tags field is the order tags, not the product tags.

I am indeed using the API to pull product data for each order. I'm happy to guide you through that if you need.

Cheers,

Elliott

Feeling a bit lost? Contact elliot@mandelbrotian.com for help with theme setup, alterations, custom functionality, and app development.
0 Likes
FMADURO
1 0 0

David,  I'm am currently setting up Shopify and I'm facing the same issue you describe.

How did you finally set up Shopify to accomodate this..

Thanks,

Frankie

0 Likes
David_Link
Shopify Partner
6 0 2

Hi Frankie, we didn't.  We migrated to BigCommerce instead.  This problem does not exist there.  Best of luck. David

0 Likes