Debut Theme Parent Navigation Menu Issue

Solved
jiraffeking
Tourist
10 0 6

I am using the debut theme and found that when you create child nested menu items under a parent menu item, the parent item loses the ability to navigate to it's own dedicated link. Am I missing something here? 

I set navigational links for: 

• New Releases (Link to collection does not work)
  • New for Men (Link to collection works perfectly)
  • New for Women (Link to collection works perfectly)

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.48.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.50.10 PM.png 

0 Likes
Finley
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
198 24 26

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @jiraffeking!

This is Finley from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for your question!

I understand that you'd like your parent navigation item, New Releases to be clickable for your customers. For some of our themes, the first navigation item is displayed as a button, instead of a link.

This is an intentional design to comply with accessibility expectations for those using assistive technology. It can be hard to see that the parent navigation item controls a dropdown menu and isn't a link to a new page. This change makes it easier for these users to read the website and ensure dropdown menus aren't missed.

Quite a lot of work would be required to reverse this, so changing this button to a link is not something our team can support. In saying that, a workaround could be to add a navigation item called "All" or "All new releases" and add that link to the dropdown menu like so:

21-04-l33ur-u0jgp.

If I can clarify anything about this further, please let me know, and I'll be happy to get back to you.

Finley | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

jiraffeking
Tourist
10 0 6

Understand that makes sense. Thank you!

0 Likes
Finley
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
198 24 26

You're most welcome @! Please feel free to reach out to us if any other questions arise.

All the best,

Finley | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes