Debut Theme Slideshow - Perfect Banner Sizing

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 3

Hi, i installed a new "Debut"  theme " (super cool theme BTW), however i have issues with slideshow banner sizing. 

With banner size of 1920x550 it looks great on desktop, but when resized on mobile, picture gets shady and looses sharpness. Anyone knows why that happens? I have other store on brooklyn theme (that has similar slider) and all seems to be ok there.

What is the recommended size for slideshows in Debut theme? I don't think this is supposed to happen, is it?

Nina

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
207 0 15

Hello Nina, Brandon here from the Shopify Guru Team :)

The recommended image size is 1200px to 2000px width, and 400px to 600px height. When switching to a mobile/small screen view there is some resizing and cropping that is done, so the image won’t be identical. I would recommend, when setting up the images for the slide, to make them middle aligned. This should make things look a bit better, as it will be the top/bottom and left/right that will get cropped out instead of part of the middle.

It is also going to act differently than Brooklyn because each theme handles the images differently when switching between desktop and mobile views.

Hope that helps :)

You can always reach out to us on phone/email/chat as well!

4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 3

Hey Brandon, thank you for your extensive answer!

I figured out to make banner higher and yes middle aligned helps too.

Enjoy

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello Nina,

can you please explain how and what you did to figure out the banner in debut theme please?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 4

I'm out of the loop a little with shopify so decided to start with what I thought would be a simple theme, debut. What a nightmare it has turned out to be. The image slider has no recommended dimensions provided and does not automatically resize. I asked my shopify agent who sent me to a link to this thread on the shopify forum where someone has asked this same obvious question which has an answer which recommended 1200x400px as the minimum sizes. So I redid my images (four attempts now after guessing the size previously - yes I tried screenshotting and working it out that way but it enlarged my image which we all know ruins the quality) and after the fourth attempt, still it crops my banner. It seems to me that recommending dimensions for images would be an obvious bit of information to give to users of themes or saying something like "You can create an image of whatever dimensions you like but if it's too small it will enlarge to this size and make your image go fuzzy and if it is too large it will crop it to this size and you will lose part of your image." Would that be too much to ask? In the meantime, if anyone can recommend a simple straightforward theme which provides all this information, please let me know, as given the low fees it is recommended we charge for set up, it would be nice for this to be as simple as possible.  Could someone please recommend a theme which works or provides the basic information to make it work?

4 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what is the recommended size for the images in DEBUT at the "Text columns with images" section of the Home Page?

I'm really struggling with this, trying to guess what works best...

Thanks in advance,

Judit

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

hi guys..

im using the Debut theme and i'd like put a hero image, like the one in collection pages, in all my other pages.

Is that possible!?

Thankss

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

this for sure is an issue  that shopify is well aware of. you would think they would fix the problem since this is one of the most popular themes theyre business runs

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

Hi,

1. Click on Slideshow
  2. Select Slide height to Adapt to First Image

Worked for me.

2 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Nina_2, I made a video tutorial for you on how to perfect banner sizing for slideshows in Debut theme. Hope this helps! https://www.askquesty.com/shopify-answers/perfect-banner-sizing-shopify-tutorial

1 Like