Debut Theme - videos not working on mobile

Charlie14
3 0 2

My shopify store is www.climatecups.com - when you visit the store on desktop, it plays a video immediately (youtube embedded) as you go onto the home page. However, the video doesn't play on mobiles and we have a picture show up instead.

I'm using the "Debut" theme - does anyone know how I can make the video play on mobile as well? About 80% of our traffic is mobile so it's quite important..!

Thanks.

Alex23
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
521 1 105

Hey, Charlie!

My name is Alex, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

Ah, understood!  The reason that you're not seeing that video on mobile devices is because it's set to 'Background video'.  This is an option that will play the video automatically upon visiting the site; this isn't possible on mobile devices due to decisions made by OS developers for Android and iOS.  On mobile devices, to reduce the chances of unwanted data use, it's required that the user take some action to begin playback (there's a little more detail on this in this article).

If you'd like to display this video for your mobile users as well, there is an option that you can use, however!  In your theme customization screen, click on that video slide and change the option in the 'Style' menu to 'Background video with play button':

Once selected, a play button will display beneath your text, and the video will automatically play on desktop.  On mobile, a static image will appear, but will also include the play button if your customer chooses to watch the video!

One thing to be aware of, if you choose this option - if your video has sound, this audio will play if the play button is clicked on either desktop or mobile.  If that's something you'd want to avoid with the video you currently have, I'd suggest linking a video in this section that's been edited to remove the sound.  If you'd like to test this out to see how it looks and sounds for you, I'd suggest making a backup of your theme; that way, you can customize the backup and get a preview, before making these changes to your live theme.

Hope that's helped!  Please feel free to let me know, and you can always give us a call or start a live chat at any time.  We're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

Kylie_Wilson
1 0 0

Hello Guru Alex,

I am unable to locate 'Style' menu to 'Background video with play button':  Has this changed in the last 4 months?

I would like to get my video working on mobile or at least give my cusumers the option to play my banner video if they wish.

Looking forward to sorting this issue out = )

0 Likes
Airbliss
2 0 2

I also have this problem. Can you solve?

thx

Jazzbyjazz
1 0 0

Hi, it seems the format of the app has changed making the original solution no longer applicable, and i'm not able to problem solve around this issue which I am also having (video plays perfectly on desktop, but no matter what setting I change, cant get it to play on mobile)

any updated troubleshooting?

0 Likes
hausofjung
5 0 0

Hi Alex - I use the same theme, but cannot figure out how to upload a video from youtube straight onto my homepage so it starts playing (ideally no audio). Do you have suggestions?

Thank you

0 Likes
TwentySomething
Tourist
3 0 0

I cannot find the Style menu to turn on the play button for playing videos. 

0 Likes