Debut vs Minimal theme

Solved
Excursionist
27 1 7

This post is really only to serve as a kind of apology to Shopify for previous criticisms/issues I have raised - believing the issues to be "shopify's platform" 

Recently joined and chose the minimal theme to work with - for 2 weeks have had nothing but headache with the theme - achieving very little in terms of customising/designing etc, my images never seemed to display vibrantly or sharp (as they truly are), couldn't seem to add or do much and the overall design just wasn't that inspiring.  Instead of trying another theme, I've been calling shopify gurus almost daily to ask "how to do?" "why ?" etc, even come on here to complain of the shabby display of images with these themes.  

This evening I decided to try the "Debut" theme (which by the way is the default theme shopify loads for you on joining) and literally within an hour I'm moving at a lovely speed, with this theme providing almost everything needed to get a shop up and have it looking pretty professional.  The display of images on this theme is superb - so previous criticisms I made I now see were totally undeserved, and it's only right to correct that in the public forum I made them.

This is not a criticism of the minimal theme, but rather, if you find you're struggling with a theme at least try another before thinking of leaving (as I almost did) - it may be, a different theme has what you're looking for instead. 

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
221 26 57

Hi @Yasmin70,

Thank you for making this post and for sharing your experience with both themes, although there is no need to apologize! Different themes will present information differently, including images, and for that reason I always encourage new merchants to install and try out the multiple free themes we offer in order to properly gauge with theme is best for them. I'm glad to hear that you've found one that you're happy with in Debut after finding Minimal more difficult to work with.

Thanks again and please always feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or problems.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
1 0 0

Good Day,

I have been trying to setup my online store for three days with Shopify.

My problem is I am beyond confused regarding how to add products to my collections on my home page. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I cannot get my products on my home page nor in collections. Can someone please help me. I don't want to waste anymore time on this.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
221 26 57

Hi @Cyndigeebee,

Thank you for getting in touch. The Shopify platform can be a little confusing at first, but we are here to help! There's a few things you'll want to check to ensure your products are displaying in homepage collections, namely:

• That both the products and the collection it features in are marked as available on the online store
  • That the products are correctly being pulled into the relevant collection
  • That the collection you want to be featured on the homepage is added here in the theme editor

For product and collection availability, you can go into each relevant product and collection and check their availability settings in the top-right corner. Here's an example from my test store:

19-11-z8bww-2va1n

This is the first thing you'll want to check, to ensure that both your products and your collections are publicly viewable on the online store.

Secondly, you'll want to check your collection(s) and see if the products you want to appear in there are added correctly. You can add products to collections manually or via automated settings, such as products with specific tags appearing in a collection. If the products and collections are set as available on the online store, and if the products are being correctly added to the right collections, we can then look at adding these collections to your homepage.

You can access your theme editor by going to Online Store > Themes and clicking on "Customize" for the theme you wish to edit. Once in the theme editor, your homepage will load and you'll see a breakdown of its different sections on the left-hand side. From here, you can add sections such as "Collection list" - which will show a list of your different collections - or "Featured collection", which will show products that feature within a collection fo your choosing. Once you've selected the section you want to use, you'll see an option to select which collection(s) you wish to appear here.

I hope this helps, but please do let me know if you're still having trouble with this.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes