Default Sort By - From Best-Selling to A-Z

12 0 0

For some reason all my collections lately have started sorting by best-selling. I have no idea how or why! I want to go back to the default of A-Z and don't really have the time to sit and change every collection manually. Is there a way to change the default back to A-Z?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 0 11

Hey Vanessa!

Maggie here, Shopify Guru. :)

First of all, gorgeous website. I don't have kids but your shop kind of makes me wish I did!

Secondly, I took a look through it and clicked around on quite a few collections, and while it looks like many of them are sorting A-Z, I found, for example that your Musical Instruments collections was indeed sorting by Best Selling. The way that you would normally fix this is by going into each collection in the back-end (Under Products > Collections > Click on the collection) and changing the "Sort" option to "A-Z". It looks like this: Screenshot.

If you try this, and for some reason it doesn't work, then the issue would likely be related to your theme or any additional code changes that you've implemented. With Shopify out of the box, the collections are supposed to be able to be sorted as you choose in the back-end, but there's always the potential for code changes to stop this from working as it's meant to. Here's a doc for more information: Collection layout and appearance

I hope this helps! You can contact support 24/7 if you have any more questions!

Maggie M | Shopify

0 Likes
12 0 0

Thanks Maggie. Firstly, thanks so much for the lovely feedback! 

All of my existing collections recently changed from A-Z to best-selling. The ones you see with a different default sort I have changed manually. I was just looking for a way to change all of them to A-Z in bulk so that I don't have to do it manually as I don't have the time. I also don't want to have to remember to change every new collection I create. 

If I am understanding your response correctly, does that mean that the default sort is a result of my theme? I can actually change it manually, I just don't have the time to do EVERY collection and want it to be A-Z automatically. 

Thanks! 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 0 11

Hey Vanessa! 

I don't believe there's a way to change them in bulk as there's no Bulk Edit function for collections, only products, but I've never heard of collections getting automatically altered on the Shopify Admin side. 

It sounds like this is something that could be caused by a third-party theme or app. Would you be able to send us in an email to support@shopify.com with all the details, including when this happened and some examples, and then provide me with the ticket number here so I can dig deeper into it?

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
Tourist
14 0 2

Hi Maggie,

I have a similar problem. When on landing page I click on a "gallery photo" that I have set up to redirect the user to the All Products, they are sorted by default from A-Z, and I want to change this. No idea how.

Is there an option for this? Thanks in advance!

Dan

Regards, Dan Nistor | Instagram Expert
0 Likes
1 0 0

Hello, 

I would like to default the Sort By to "Featured" which seems to be sorted by SKU.  But I don't see this option in the Collection sorting options.  Can you tell me how to default the Sort by to Featured?

Thanks!

0 Likes