Delete multiple photos/files simultaneously?

Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9812 92 1576

What are you hoping to see? Something like the below or something else?

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

yeah, exactly... does that already exist? or is it just not available on the basic plans?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9812 92 1576

That was something I had considered adding to this but interest was low and I got sidetracked by other things. I am still on the fence about actually adding such as a thing as bulk deletion can be scary should something go wrong.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

I would think it's a great feature to add. And yes, it's scary if you don't know what you're doing and you accidentally select all your files and delete them. But the worst that happens there is that you have to upload your product pics again. On the other hand, without it, we have to go one by one to delete them, which takes much longer.

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

This feature is a basic of file management; anybody serious about managing a store with a decent amount of products would surely need this feature.  I now need to remove hundreds and hundreds of images... it will take a day's worth of work time.  Store owners cannot possibly justify spending this time for such a task. A small but very critical addition to Shopify, in my opinion

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
3976 17 334

Shopify gives away a command line tool called theme. Theme help reveals the options:

theme help
Commands:
  theme check                                      # check configuration
  theme configure API_KEY PASSWORD STORE THEME_ID  # generate a config file for the store to connect to
  theme download FILE                              # download the shops current theme assets
  theme help [COMMAND]                             # Describe available commands or one specific command
  theme open                                       # open the store in your browser
  theme remove FILE                                # remove theme asset
  theme replace FILE                               # completely replace shop theme assets with local theme assets
  theme systeminfo                                 # print out system information and actively loaded libraries for aiding in submitting bug reports
  theme upload FILE                                # upload all theme assets to shop
  theme watch                                      # upload and delete individual theme assets as they change, use the --keep_files flag to disable remote file deletion

So it would take mere minutes to use this tool, in conjunction with your computer's file browser to delete hundreds of images from the theme assets. 

If you're talking about products with images, again, the API provides you with a secure and easy way of deleting product images with scripting. 

So if you value your time, don't spend a day manually diddling checkboxes, script your images away in mere minutes.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 3

Why do we still not have this feature? As if the one by one deletion isn't exhausting enough, the fact that if you have multiple pages of files, the whole thing refreshes back to page 1 after each deletion.... this is absolutely absurd.

~Banging head against desk.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

+1 for this feature. Don't forget to click the blue upvote button all the way at the top so Shopify knows how many members are affected by this deficiency.

I batch uploaded about 100 images and the connection broke while I was uploading. Now I have about 100 images with filenames like "MY_intended_filename_6a4e2de4-e123-4644-9617-1cadfdf2dad5.jpg"

It seems elementary to me that if a member can batch upload 100 files, the member should be able to batch delete.

Considering there is a versioning feature for theme files (for which there is NO batch upload feature except to upload a zip of the entire theme), why could there not be similar Recycle Bin feature for the files? Permit batch restores from Recycle Bin, have the Recycle Bin count against members' storage, and permit batch permanent deletion from the Recycle Bin.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
3976 17 334

https://delete-all-images.herokuapp.com

Easiest way to get one-click, hey, boom, all your images are deleted. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
17 0 1

So....WHY is it that Shopify does not have this feature yet after 10 months of people asking for it?

Providing wacky programming code 90% of us don't know does not help, and links to outside places/apps that's supposed to do this is not fixing or helping us merchants. I, and other, like the idea of a simple check box and a global selection like "delete all checked" and "delete all".  How hard can that be to put into code on the global product templates?

1 Like