Deny Indexing of your site?.

Solved
SorenC
5 0 0

Hey guys.

I've been looking over a way to implant the normal noindex / nofollow to my shop. Because i dont need any indexing.

But since we are not able to edit the robots.txt file, im looking for another way to do this.

So any advice would be appreciated. :)

0 Likes
Jamie
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
5714 0 156

You can try overriding with meta 

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

Not sure if the google spider will listen or not, but it's supposed to.

The robots meta tag allows HTML authors to tell visiting robots whether a single document may be indexed or used to harvest more links. No server administrator action is required. The meta elements work in tandem with a robots.txt file, though, with the robots.txt as the first line of exclusion. Only if a robot is allowed to look at files can the robots meta element be observed.

http://shopifyplus.com ::: http://twitter.com/bacchus
0 Likes
SorenC
5 0 0

Im guessing that piece of code, goes into the index file? Correct?. 

0 Likes
Gavinator
Shopify Partner
1260 8 101

It would be your theme.liquid file

www.bookthatapp.com
0 Likes
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2570 337 524

This is an accepted solution.

Hello!

As of today, June 21st, 2021, we have launched the ability to edit the robot.txt file to give merchants more control over the information that is crawled by search engines. You can learn more about how to edit your robot.txt file through our community post here

Due to the age of the topic, I will be locking this thread and marking it as resolved to help direct anyone that lands on this page. If you have any questions about the new feature, please do not hesitate to create a new post under our "Techincal QA" board. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes