Can you disable an app on Shopify without deleting it?

welcomebrand
Shopify Partner
72 1 109

I'm trying to do some theme optimisations as I'm finding a lot of significant issues with Shopify's overall performance and the more apps I have to add to fill functionality gaps the more extreme it gets. 

Is there a way to simply disable an app without deleting it completely so I can test performance? It seems a little unusual that the only option is to completely delete an app. 

Replies 7 (7)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2195 201 587

If it's an app that works based on code in your theme, you can comment out that code.

If it's an app that injects code into theme via content_for_header, you can use some liquid code to identify the url and assign a new content_for_header with the app script removed.

If you're not comfortable working in the code, you can either hire a Shopify developer or contact the app developers to ask if they can give detailed instructions how to temporarily disable the app.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
DespairFactory
Visitor
2 0 31

The lack of a standardized "disable" button in the shopify app management is a glaring issue. This should be standard practice for any app marketplace.

MilexHighxClub
Visitor
1 0 9

Agreed. Sometimes you just need to temporarily disable an app, especially when building a Shopfiy website from the ground up. There may be theme conflicts, you may be seeing which app(s) you prefer over another, you may be doing some testing, and much more. 

This needs to be addressed ASAP.

mahtaleb
Visitor
1 0 2

I found something might work on some apps, (App embeds) in Theme settings

JaydenLNext
Tourist
6 0 4

Nice idea, but hardly any of my active apps are listed in App Embeds

JaydenLNext
Tourist
6 0 4

After struggling with the use of Shopify over the last month, basic yet vitally important things like this that are completely ignored by Shopify leads me to believe that Shopify is a lazy company, and I'm going to look elsewhere for a better, faster, cheaper, solution. 

web-orbit12
Shopify Partner
4 0 7

There's no faster solution though 😅 maybe cheaper or better in other ways but not faster..