Disappointing Cost of Basic Functionality

leeroyster
Excursionist
15 1 1

Good Morning

Is there anyone that can help me with what I see as such a basic fundamental property of an online store, and set a unit of measure and price per unit on my site (Venture theme)?

I am selling materials per square meter and I need to specify this as a property, but I've just been told by support that I need an app to do this, which is $30 a month! This is more than the cost of my Shopify plan itself! I can handle the fact that I need an app for $4 a month to set minimum order quantities (again, this should be such a basic feature of Shopify) but $30 a month just to set a unit of measure?? 

After all the positive and encouraging development so far on my site, this may be the straw that breaks the camels back and makes me go elsewhere - how can something so simple and fundamental require expensive apps?

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers,
Lee

leeroyster
Excursionist
15 1 1

Thanks - if you let me know what you have in mind in terms of offering, I will supply the details? I've already created an experts post for this, to see what comes about...

Cheers,
Lee

0 Likes
hashiromer
Explorer
44 3 10

Shopify at its core is built to help merchants sell products which cannot be decomposed into parts, such as a cup, locket, shirt etc. You are selling a commodity which can be decomposed into parts (into meters) and your pricing model depends upon it. The more you deviate from this idealized model, the more difficulties you are gonna run into.

The only way to offer customized product within Shopify is through product variants which differ by color, or some other property. You will have to design a large number of variants defined by meters to achieve your desired functionality which is a fairly awkward way to do it and you are still going to run into problems in future.

This should definitely be a basic functionality for a product which aims to assist your product model, I am not sure if Shopify is the best solution for your use case.

0 Likes
leeroyster
Excursionist
15 1 1

Thank you - yes, you're absolutely right. Actually in this case the variants are fine where I can show one product having different colours etc, but herein lies the issue...

I can't define that I want a new field to display a unit of measure. And even if I could, I can't display it on the product page (all possible with coding of course). 

I am more than happy to be wrong here!

0 Likes
hashiromer
Explorer
44 3 10

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your requirements.

Do you merely want a unit of measure or provide the user with an input box where they can input the required "number of meters" to buy from you which is what interpreted.

The former is easy, the latter is going to cause problems because Shopify's backend does not have an inbuilt concept of this product model. It is of course possible to "present it on user screen" using custom coding but it would not integrate with other Shopify apps.

0 Likes
leeroyster
Excursionist
15 1 1

It's literally a unit of measure that I can specify (the former example) so that this is displayed on the product page as a field for that product, as opposed me typing one out in the description. That way, when the customer uses the standard built in quantity selection buttons on the product page they know exactly what that quantity equates to.

Hopefully that makes sense - your help is much appreciated!

0 Likes
hashiromer
Explorer
44 3 10

Okay it doesn't seem that complicated.

Can you share the url of your store so that I can get the exact idea.

No problem! I like to solve interesting problems

0 Likes
leeroyster
Excursionist
15 1 1

Sorry for the late reply hashiromer - I have just sent you a PM...

Cheers,
Lee

0 Likes