Discount based on product quantity

Tourist
24 0 2

Hello,

I would like to create 3 price options based on the quantity a customer purchases of the same product. Ideally, I would like them to have a dropdown bar and be able to select either 1, 2 or 3 of the same item, each at a different price. 

It would look like these: 

- 1 product costs $A

- 2 products costs $B

- 3 products costs $C

I tried setting this up with automatic discounts but it was very clunky and customers were getting errors messages if they ordered 2 of one product and 1 of another. 

Is there any way to set this up without going through yet another Shopify App that I would have to add to my store? 

Kind Regards,

Lisa 

1 Like
Astronaut
1088 149 274

I don't suppose you're running on Shopify Plus? This can be done through the script editor that plus members have access to. The only way I can think to do it without that is have 3 different versions of the product at the 3 different prices, the on the cart page run a script that checks the items in the cart for your item, checks it's quantity, then removes it and replaces it with the corresponding product quantity price. So lets say you're selling a Tea Cup, and you want to offer discounts like you said. Make 3 different products :

Tea Cup 1 Quantity:  $3,

Tea Cup 2 Quantity:  $5,

Tea Cup 3 Quantity:  $7

Then on the cart page you'll check and see if the teacup is in the cart with the Shopify Ajax Api, check it's quantity, remove it and replace it with the corresponding product to the initial quantity in the cart. 

Another way I can think of is to do it through different variants of the product. You could make a product template that removes the quantity selector from that specific product and just have 3 different variants at the 3 different price points.

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
0 Likes
Tourist
24 0 2

Thank you for taking the time to respond! 

Unfortunately I don't have shopify plus :( 

I suppose I could try creating a dedicated product template but am worried I won't be able to get the variants to display in a dropdown style menu - would you happen to know if this is possible? 

Cheers, 

Lisa

0 Likes
Astronaut
1088 149 274

Definitely possible, this is how most themes handle their variants. Do you have any products with more than one variant on your current store? 

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
0 Likes
Tourist
24 0 2
Cool :)

No I just have 4 products with no variants and I would want to create the
packs for each of the 4 products.
0 Likes
Astronaut
1088 149 274

Well go ahead and make a test product with a couple of variants. Or even simulate what you want to do, then check the preview of the product to see how it handles it. It will probably be with a drop down menu. What theme are you currently using?

0 Likes
Tourist
24 0 2
That would be great!

I'm using the Narrative theme :)

Kind Regards,

Lisa
0 Likes
Tourist
24 0 2

Hello! 

Not sure if you saw my previous comment, I'm using the narrative theme and still very interested in seeing an example of this before implementing on my end! 

Cheers,

Lisa

1 Like

We are also looking for a way to do this. Our store is www.stateofthebutton.com – at present selling bulk quantities but we want to offer single items with quantity discounts.

Outstanding examples are Cafepress.com and Zazzle.com – screenshots attached. Near as we can tell, Shopify doesn't offer this ability. Any help from the community, or Shopify staff who monitor this, is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 8.24.56 .pngScreen Shot 2019-11-10 at 8.26.19 .png

0 Likes