Do videos slow down my page speed?

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 4

Hi there,

I have about 50 or so videos on my website. None on my hompage, they are all in different product pages. And they are embeded with Embedresponsively. They are between 5mb and 48mb large.

Question, do videos have an impact on page speed?

Since I don't have any video on my homepage, page speed would only be a concern or the product pages the video is on, correct?

What is the maximum size a video should have?

Thank you. Winfried

0 Likes
Highlighted
Hello jknaturkosmetik,
If video is on the homepage it affect the page speed.
Want to modify or incorporate custom changes on store, Hire us.
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com
Free Review and advice for sale on store | Shopify Private App | Custom Theme Development | Custom Modifications In To Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing | Site Speed Optimization | Performance Site Audit
0 Likes

Success.

Hi @jknaturkosmetik it should not have affect on your home page speed. Since they are embedded I believe video will be loaded only when it's played. You can double check with Google Page speed insight app https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

❤️ Found my answer helpful? Please LIKE or Accept Solutions.
❤️ PageFly - CRO Solution for your Store.
TOP 10 Best Apps in All Apps Category - https://apps.shopify.com/pagefly
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
515 34 105

Most of the time, yes they affect your load speed.

You can run the page through webpagetest.org to get a "waterfall view", this will show you every file that loads on the page, how long it takes, file size, etc.

If your videos are below the page fold (so you have to scroll to see them), you can lazy load them, so they don't show up until the user scrolls them into view. Here's an article I wrote about lazy loading, it applies to images and videos: https://speedboostr.com/shopify-lazy-loading.

To answer your questions specifically:

Since I don't have any video on my homepage, page speed would only be a concern or the product pages the video is on, correct?

That is correct, the assets from your product page do not load on home page (other than shared scripts but not page content).

What is the maximum size a video should have?

The best thing you can do from a performance perspective is put them "under the fold" and lazy load them. Then they won't contribute to page load speed. For above the fold, you want them to be the smallest possible size possible while retaining an acceptable amount of resolution. Videos are heavy so minimizing size is a best practice.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, send emails).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
I also build custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
1 Like