Does the order number reset annually?

1 0 0

Hello!

Thanks in advance to your response! I will like to check if the order number resets every year (business year, calendar year etc)? Or does it run sequentially for as long as the shop sells? - So it's evergrowing since the start of the business? 

Thank you!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1140 92 138

hi,

try this 

https://www.speakinginbytes.com/2017/11/shopify-order-numbers/

Thanks & Regards
Perennial Solution

Problem Solved?✔️Like and Accept the solution that can help others.
Need any help with theme customization or design? Hire us
Email: infoperennialsolution@gmail.com
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
159 19 20

Hi, @Friendlygiant!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

That's an interesting and great question! I'd be happy to help answer that for you here.

The short answer is that no, it won't reset annually.

At the moment and quite possibly for the foreseeable future, there aren't any limits to the size of the number.

We've seen stores with more than 300,000 orders and each with a sequential number since the beginning of the store opening.

If you do want to have that number change for different years you can change the prefix or suffix anytime. For example, you can change the suffix to -2020 on the first of January in 2020 to start the year's orders with that suffix if you want to label them that way.

You can do this by going to Settings > General and scroll down to the standards and formats section. Check out my GIF below to see some examples of what you can do with the order number:

alt

Ultimately, you don't need to change that since you can filter out orders based on many criteria in your order list, but if you prefer a visual you can definitely try that out.

Let me know how you do with the information above! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes