Domain Switch Help!

Highlighted
2 0 0

We are currently not on Shopify and are using a domain (ie - www.xyz.com) and was wondering if we could first buy a different domain on Shopify (ie - www.abc.com) until we're ready to switch our Shopify to the www.xyz.com name. How easy is this to switch out the domain name once we've purchased one? And, will that have any effect on the store theme / purchases we buy for apps? 

Thank you in advance!! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
676 63 88

Hey, @webgg.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Those are some great questions!

You can absolutely buy a different domain on Shopify and you can connect up to 10 domains to your store, which can be combination of third-party or Shopify-purchased domains. After that, you can simply change your primary domain to make the switch at any time.

Shopify-purchased domains do not need any extra steps for setting up; however, there are some steps for connecting a third-party domain. You can also consider transferring a third-party domain to Shopify, which allows you to manage your domains in one place. It's also important to note that domain transfers will require you to renew the domain for another year with the new registrar. 

Adding or switching domains will not have any effect on your theme or third-party apps. 

Let me know if this is what you're looking for?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @webgg 

You don't need to buy a domain, shopify assigns you a 'YOURBRANDNAME.myshopify.com' domain for free, when you create your store.

You can point www.xyz.com to that shopify domain name above at any time when you are ready

If my answer was helpful please Like and Accept my post as the Solution
Need help customizing your store? Contact me on email at Defineify@gmail.com