Drawbacks of Redesigning a "Collections" page to look like a regular "Page"

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Are there any drawbacks in redesigning a "collections" page to act as a regular "page"?

We have collections that are very large with more than 200 product types. In order to keep the store organized (plus there is a collection limit now) I'm creating "sub-collections" and then redesigning the main collection page to link to those "sub-collections". So the main collection page will not display products anymore, instead it would link to sub-categories (sub-collections).

Are there any drawbacks or things I should watch out for? As far as I can tell, I don't see anything wrong with doing this. I can create a regular /page/ but then it would be redundant/confusing for customers. 

Any input is appreciated, thanks. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
248 9 50

Yes its normal with a larger range of products to produce a hierarchical structure of subcategories so that people can more easily narrow down. You will find that as the number of products increases, if there is a lot of variety of product types all smashed together in one page, it will make your conversion rate go down. All the extra noise and irrelevancy makes it a chore to wade through things that you are not interested in. Visitors going to a more specific subcategory page of narrowed items may look at up to 2-3x as many products before they drop off, thus boosting conversion rate. It's totally okay to NOT show products on the higher-level pages ie where the selection is too broad/chaotic. You could feature some popular items there perhaps or best-sellers but make it clear that the full selection is found in the subcategory pages. Make sure the high level collection pages still have some useful text on them for seo focused at that 'level 'of topical relevancy. Then make sure each subcategory has seo text on it that is focused at keywords relating to that specific 'level' or scope, without overlapping with each other, to create nice clearly defined topically-focused pages. You don't want to be trying to please everyone on every page. That totally does not work. Make each subcategory topically unique. Then just make sure you have links pointing from the high level to the next lower level, and then from the lower level back up to the higher level. It's also okay to link from a lower level to siblings of a higher level... but do NOT link highly unrelated subcategories to other highly unrelated subcategories. Research more about website soloing for more information.

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1

Thanks for the input!

I was more concerned about the technical aspects. Like would this cause issues with how Shopify works in the back end?

I've noticed one drawback so far with the tag system.

For example the link below would not link correctly and cannot be redirected either.

mystore.com/collections/CollectionPage/Tag1

If I redesign "CollectionPage" into a regular page, Google has the above link already indexed. When a customer clicks the link it'll redirect them to /collections/CollectionPage and not to /collections/CollectionPage/Tag1. 

0 Likes