Drop-down menu without link

Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 2

Can i create a drop down menu without a link in the main menu (the one that i want to drop down from)? So the visitor could only click on the drop down items… 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
635 16 205

Hi Gonzalo!

Liam here from Shopify - thank you for your question :)

Great to see you are looking to optimise how your navigation works so let's see how we can set that up for you. To stop a Menu Item from linking anywhere you can set it up to link to a web address of #. This will still allow it to have drop down items, but no page will load when you click on that menu item. This is how that would look like set up:

Hope this helps Gonzalo, if you have any other questions, just let me know!

Cheers,
Liam

Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

Liam Griffin
Shopify | Developer Community Manager
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 2

Liam,

It really helped!!! Thank you!

One more thing: I created drop-down menus, and now i want to create another set of drop-down menus from the drop downed. I followed the same proccedure but didn´t worked. Do you know how to set up?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
635 16 205

Hi again Gonzalo.

Thank you for getting back in touch. Liam here again. 

If you are looking to create a second level of drop-down then you would need to use a theme which supports multiple level drop downs or else integrate an app like Bacon Mega Menu. Some themes which support multi level drop downs are:

I hope this helps Gonzalo. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Liam Griffin | Customer Success Guru

Liam Griffin
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 2

Many thanks Liam!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Liam,

Can you please give updated instructions for Shopify 2018?  There is no longer an option to select "web address" and it is rejecting # if I simply choose 'Pages'.  Thank you for your time.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
635 16 205

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your question :) It is still possible to use # to ensure a menu item is not a link, however, the way that # is used is slightly different. If you don't want the header to link to anything, then you can enter # in the Link field when you add the menu item. This video shows an example of this from my own store.

Hope this helps :)

Liam

Liam Griffin
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your response.  I'm using Brooklyn theme and I get an error message when I try and apply changes.  Please see screenshot.  Your help is appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

This issue is due to a weird UX behavior, for this to work you have to write the # symbol under the link field, immediately a popup will show up with the hashtag option, which you have to click on in order to select it...

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Perfect! Thank you so very much. :-)

0 Likes