Expand order summary by default on checkout

Tourist
4 0 0

Thank you.  I tried it even though not running Plus and it does not work. 

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

I have the same situation long back when I tested in my local/dev shopify it doesn't work.
I tested in QA/staging with the same script it's working good in prod too.

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 0

Ok, I am pretty upset.  I will repost what i posted on one of the dropshipping Facebook group i belong to.  If Shopify cares, they will have to do something about it, not just for me but for everyone affected.

"For most newbies who use discount codes on this forum, this info can help!  Anyone experiencing a high ratio of add to cart with low conversion to purchases, take a look at this.  It is not a theme flaw but a design flaw from Shopify.  How do i get restitution from them for all the time and money spent in vain?!  I have been using discount codes in my marketing from the beginning to get sales and could not understand why there were so many add to carts but such extremely low purchases.  Furthermore, many times when i would get a purchase, i could not understand why the customer did not use the discount code. 

Well, i found out after months of wondering.  Almost all my traffic is in the older age groups from mobile; and when using a discount code from phone or tablet, the discount code field is not visible at check out.  All it said on top of the checkout page was " Show order summary".  No wonder customers ready to spend money because they were getting a deal walked away.  The only way to have that section expanded by default is to upgrade to the Plus version.  Why?  Is it done intentionally to get one to upgrade?  How could such a large and expert company overlook such an important detail?  Wouldn't it be to their advantage to have more successful website subscribers?

I just now found a work around on one of Shopify Community discussions and have changed the header of the mobile checkout page to something like "Click to apply discount code".  Let's see the difference in the future.  I had almost given up on eCommerce.

$3,725 spent on Facebook ads, 228 add to carts, 28 purchases.  Mobile reach was 353,381 vs. Desktop at 10,072.  Amount spent on mobile was $3,557.87 vs. $168.01 on desktop.  It does not take a genius to understand the flaw in design.  This is a serious question.  Now how do i collect all the revenue for all the lost sales from Shopify?"

addtocart-purchase.JPGaddtocart-purchase2.JPGaddtocart-purchase3.JPG

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 0

Why did my post explaining the damage the hidden discount code field of checkout cart flaw has done to my eCommerce business disappear?  

0 Likes

Holy cow! I just found out about this issue when I had a slew of people say they couldn't find the field and I was confused. Mind boggling that it is so buried in a mobile view.  Expanding the section puts in too much info (they just came from the cart where they saw the summary, they don't need to see it again) but including the discount code with the summary does not make sense either... well maybe it does, I guess it will likely change the total so that summary will update.  Still, hiding it by default for mobile users is crazy.  I have at least updated the language to "Show summary and enter discount code" as others have suggested and will see how that changes things for me.  I'd love to hear the logic behind the thinking of why hiding it by default with no mention of the field is the out of the box solution from Shopify.

1 Like
Tourist
5 0 2

To expand order summary on the checkout page (Mobiles)
use this script in checkout.liquid

<script>

if (Shopify.Checkout.step === "contact_information") {

Checkout.$('[data-drawer-toggle="[data-order-summary]"]').click();

}

</script>

0 Likes

I saw that posted earlier, but I don't necessarily want to expand the whole thing out of the gate. I get that if the user has a number of items in their cart, that showing the full list again (after they just left the cart page that also showed it) would be noisy on a mobile screen. I think a better happy medium "summary" would not list all the items again, but just the sub-total, tax and shipping or something like that.  Then it isn't adding as much noise to the page. The current "summary" is not a summary at all, it is a detailed list of the full cart. At least that is my take on it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

where can i find checkout.liquid? I dont seem to have it...

@vhr333 wrote:

To expand order summary on the checkout page (Mobiles)
use this script in checkout.liquid

<script>

if (Shopify.Checkout.step === "contact_information") {

Checkout.$('[data-drawer-toggle="[data-order-summary]"]').click();

}

</script>

0 Likes
2 0 1

It is end of 2019 and such an important feature is still NOT there.  Really sad and frustrated about this.  Shopify, PLEASE MAKE THIS CHANGE ASAP.  It would mean a lot to small e-commerce businesses that are just starting out.

0 Likes