Expand order summary by default on checkout

Tourist
7 0 2

I've noticed that the order summary is collapsed by default for our website for mobile and tablet users, which is the section that contains the place to enter a discount code. I'm surprised about this and it seems to be confusing our visitors!

Is there a way to have the order summary expanded by default at all? Any help would be much appreciated.

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
385 0 49

Hello Toby,

Unfortunately no it is not possible unless you are on Shopify Plus as you will not be allowed to change the checkout flow.

There is a way to add the discount to the cart.liquid page by adding the following to the form

<input type="text" name="discount"/>

This would still not validate before you go to the checkout page and might lead to some confusion among your clients.

Kasimir

"Good design is good business"
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
500 1 47

Hi Toby,

Thanks for posting in the forums!

At the moment for this, the option is to edit your themes/ language section to edit Expand order summary to saw what you need, such as "Click here to apply your discount code"! This is to make the UX experience for customers who don't have a discount code easier on mobile!

I will make a feature request on this though to make this code section more visible, and it might be something that becomes available in the future- and if that happens we'll let everyone know usually via our announcements page!

Thanks again!

Warm regards,

Anne

4 Likes
Tourist
7 0 2

Hi Anne,

Thanks for further clarification on this. Naturally more users will be buying on desktop but mobile isn't too far behind for our website! Hopefully that gets a look at sometime in the future.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
465 0 35

Would have to disagree... if anyone would like to know how... would be happy to put the same edit I did for redfoxprimitives.com into your store for you!

Trevor www.carlowseo.com
2 Likes
1 0 0

Hi CarlowSEO, I would like to know how you have done that for redfoxprimitives.com! Please get in touch as I need this for our site :)

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi CarlowSEO,

We're running a discount on our store at the moment for Black Friday and we know our customers who use Paypal are having a lot of trouble seeing where to put the Discount code in.  We see the only current solution as having the 'Show Order Summary' permanently expanded to show the discount code field.  Over 80% of our customers are using the mobile site, so this really is a problem for us.  Are you able to fix this?  Please get in touch if you can.

Thanks!!

0 Likes
2 0 0

CarlowSEO,

I would love to know how to have the order summary expanded by default.

Are you able to do this even without a Shopify Plus site?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 0 0

Any new update on this?

I'm running ads that require to enter discount code and everyone clicking is using mobile.

On mobile, order summary is hidden by default. Serious problem!

Getting major cart abandonment due to users not being able to find where to enter Discount Code.

Please, there has to be a solution to such easy fix. If Shopify makes the changes and it affects everyone, it wouldn't be a bad thing and will increase conversions for all stores. This should be immately developed. 

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
465 0 35

anyone interested feel free to email me at trevor at carlowseo dot com.

It is possible,

No you do not need shopify plus

Trevor www.carlowseo.com
0 Likes