External Links Rerouting To Primary Domain

Highlighted
2 0 0

Have social media links in the footer of our website with a target="_blank", but it puts our connected domain in the URL front of it.  

So what should be instagram.com/Account redirects to account.com/www.instagram.com/Account

I'm sure it has something to do with how the domain is connected, but not sure if disabling the redirection will mess up the rest of the website.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 9.28.41 PM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 94 134

Hi, @21Club,

Hank here from Shopify.

Can you share your store URL so that I can take a look at how your current setup looks?

Social media links work is to link it to your social media account rather than a store domain. It may briefly show your domain as it is going to an external route, but that is only minimal. Is it happening that clicking on social media links brings you straight to your home page?

The example you shared is correct, you would link it to your chosen social media links, for example, www.twitter.com/myprofile and it would link to that profile. Similar to the below. 

17-02-npgq2-cwdh4

Are your profiles linked this way? Or can you tell me more about the redirect setup you have?

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey Hank,

They are actually hard-coded in.  The existing theme code has been removed.

caseycircle.com for reference.  Three socials are in the footer.

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 94 134

Thank you for adding more context and for sharing your store URL.

I can see the way they are listed, which is indeed causing the issue of not directing to the corresponding social media pages.

As this is hardcoded in, I will move this thread to a more applicable board where developers may be able to assist you with the correct code required.

Hopefully, someone with more technical skills in the community will come across this and be able to add some value to you here, but if not, your best bet might be to reach out to one of our Shopify Experts, who you can hire to do almost any custom work on your store.

If you were to reach out to them about this query, they would be able to resolve this issue for you as well.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes