FYI - Changes to Instagram feeds in themes coming June 29th, 2020

Community Manager
Community Manager
462 25 521

As of June 29th, 2020, Instagram will discontinue its legacy API. This API is what connects an Instagram feed to your online store. When the API is discontinued, Instagram feeds that have been added to a store by entering an Instagram access token to the "Instagram feed" section of the Theme Editor will no longer display images.

To prevent this change from causing display issues on this section of your storefront, we recommend that you remove the Instagram section that is built into your theme. If you still wish to have an Instagram feed on your store, you can use an Instagram feed app to achieve this.

This change only affects the Instagram feed displayed on your online store via your theme and will not affect any of your sales channels like the Instagram Channel. Some Instagram feeds that have been installed via third party apps may not be impacted and will continue to work. To find apps that work with Instagram feeds, click here.

To learn more please review the Shopify Help Center content, Instagram Feed Changes.

FAQ

Does this affect my Instagram sales channel?

• No, this change to Instagram feeds does not affect your Instagram sales channel.

I still want an Instagram feed on my online store. How can I still have it?

• You can still achieve this by using a third-party app. To see a list of Instagram feed apps we recommend in the App Store click here.

I installed this Instagram app, but it's not working, can you help me?

• For assistance with 3rd party apps please contact the App Developer. To do this within the Shopify Admin go to the Apps section followed by clicking Get Support to reach out to the 3rd party developer.

TyW | Community Manager @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
54 0 42

Thank you for the heads up on this.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 1 0

I've been reviewing Instagram Feed apps on Shopify and am quickly becoming disillusioned.  Many of the Shopify apps that I have looked at ask for more permission than they really need.  I need to ensure that my client's customer data is protected.  

Permissions: The only way that I have found to view what permissions an app needs is to step through the installation process on my test store.   Is there any other way to find out what permissions an app needs?  

Privacy Policies: The app listings all contain a privacy policy.  The first privacy policy that I read claimed the app only used Shopify Account Data and Online Store data but the app asked for permission to products and orders as well.  This means the app would have access to customer data.   I had thought that this type of thing would not make it through the Shopify app approval process.   The disconnect between the privacy policy in the Shopify app and the permissions makes me nervous.  Can I trust app privacy policies?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 1 0

FYI, Instagram has decided to delay these changes until June 29, 2020. Here is a quote from their website (https://www.instagram.com/developer/):

March 30, 2020 Update: We understand these are challenging times for our developer community, so we are postponing disabling the Instagram Legacy API Platform by 90 days to June 29, 2020. Remaining endpoints on the Legacy API will no longer be available after this date and your app's users may lose functionality.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
79 2 7

Hello, do try out our app - Instagram Slider Feed - https://apps.shopify.com/instagram-slider-feed

We only request the minimum permission for it to work =) i.e. read/write themes, read/write script tags, and read/write content (for installation of the widget in your page/s) 

0 Likes