Fastor and similar third-party themes vs. Shopify Theme Store themes?

Solved
Highlighted

Hi - We have been running a store on Debut Theme for 18 months now, but have pushed the envelope to the max and are looking for a more consolidated, paid solution that doesn't require us to install a lot of apps and hack our theme all the time. We have a mid-sized product catalog and are expanding and re-launching the site at https://jewelsoftaste.dk/.

We also want a multi-purpose theme that is continually upgraded with new features as the market changes. At the same time, we will probably still need to install third-party apps to patch the gaps between our requirements and whichever the theme offers.

We have been doing a lot of research so far and are close to choosing a solution but a few things have us worried or confused at a higher level:

• Shopify Theme Store themes seem to be much more expensive and at the same time considerably limited in features and update frequency than other "external" or "non-store" themes (is that the right term?) such as Fastor, Wokiee, Belle, Retailer, Boostheme etc. Why is that so?
  • Are these "non-store" themes generally compatible with other Shopify App store apps?
  • Is it generally possible to modify "non-store" themes codewise the same way as the default themes (since any of them will have a requirements gap to our specific needs)?
  • How can we best protect ourselves against being "stranded" on an abandoned upgrade path - some of these themes have frequent updates, some of them seem almost abandoned, release-wise?
  • Do you have any other experiences on a general level, good or bad with specifically Belle Theme, Wokiee Theme or Fastor Theme?

If you are interested, this is the feature set we are currently shortlisting for:

• Multi-language support (complete)
  • Multi-currency
  • Responsive design
  • Recommended products
  • Up-sell products
  • Cross-sell products
  • Product bundles
  • Product badges/labels
  • GDPR support
  • Ajax search
  • Ajax sidebar or mini-cart
  • Quick view
  • Flexible content page templates (CMS/page building type)
  • Pre-orders or crowd buying/shop with friends (important)
  • Product-specific trust/other properties icons on product page
  • Flexible product page layout
  • Flexible collection page layout
  • Flexible cart page layout
  • Megamenu
  • Add to cart from the collection page
  • Sticky add-to cart
  • Revolution slider  (or similar)
  • Banner builder
  • Multiple automatic discounts
  • Easy theme management
  • Two-way Facebook integration (view FB page posts as site content)
  • Mailchimp integration (really missing that)
  • Age verification on collection level
  • Exit intent popups
  • Landing page templates
  • Event page template
  • Easy clearance sales
  • SEO optimization in general
  • Decent support & documentation
  • Frequent updates

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Regards, Christian

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Community Manager
Community Manager
2665 190 422

Hi @Christian_Schad,

Nick here from Shopify. Great questions! 

When you say "Are these "non-store" themes generally compatible with other Shopify App store apps?" are you referring to themes not in the Shopify theme store at all or the non-Shopify developed themes? Different themes could have varying performance depending on which features it has. In general, Shopify built themes have fewer features and so would be faster. But you might need to install apps for a specific feature, which will have a performance cost. There is a great blog post from the theme partners team which goes into more detail about this here

When a theme is developed from scratch it is generally down to the theme developer on whether or not they are compatible with Shopify store apps. You can see more about developing a theme not in the theme store from two guides the Shopify team has for this here and here

That are a lot of features you have listed. A lot of themes might not have all of them, it would be good to narrow it down to the most needed 4 or 5 features to help find the best theme for you based on what I mentioned above. 

I hope this helps to some degree. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Shopify Partner
19 1 4

Hi @Christian_Schad,

I have a solution for you. I have developed the Shopcast theme that matches almost the features you need. You can view more details at https://boostheme.com/category/best-shopify-themes/product/shopcast-high-performance-multipurpose-sh... .

When you buy our theme, you can use our Shopify app to translate products, page, blog, theme,... and the href lang will be added to the "HEAD" tag to optimize SEO.

For updating the theme, you don't need to worry about that. You will have at least one of the FREE updates. the FREE update means when we release a new version, we will help you to update our theme on your store without losing your current settings and modifications.

Base on the changelog of Shopify and feedback from our customers, we release the new version monthly.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions via our email: contact@boostheme.com .

All the best,

David.

David Kean
CoFounder at Boostheme team
https://boostheme.com
0 Likes