Feature Request - Dark Mode Email Support

Rosstheboss
Shopify Partner
27 1 20

Hi Shopify,

Your platform needs to start including features for dark mode on computers and devices, especially for notifications. About 35% of all emails are now opened in dark mode on mobile devices and these emails are not formatted correctly. Shopify needs to have alternate colors and logos in order to prevent logos and buttons from disappearing on dark mode enabled devices.

Please add support ASAP. Dark mode is now a standard not a niche.

Replies 9 (9)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @Rosstheboss.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I can see why having a dark mode for our platform can be a beneficial feature for our merchants, like yourself, and I'd be happy to share this suggestion with our developers. If Shopify moves forward with implementing this feature, you'll be able to find it on our changelog or announcements page. 

If you're using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge on your desktop (PC and Mac), you can use something like Dark Reader for the time being. Dark Reader can give your browser dark mode on majority of the websites, and it can alternate some of the colours without affecting any of the images as well. Dark Reader also provides other functions that allow you to change the appearance of your dark mode. 

As for mobile devices, most of them have a built-in function that gives you a similar viewing experience to dark mode. For example, you can enable dark mode on your iPhone, iPad, or iPad Touch or enable the Dark theme on devices running Android 10 or later. The benefit of using your device's dark mode is that you can apply this across other apps, as opposed to only your browser. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Tmsczt
Tourist
4 0 1

I totally agree ! I have the same issue....

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @Tmsczt.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I understand that you're also facing the same issues and looking for dark mode support for emails. I can see how this can be a useful feature for our merchants, like yourself, and I'd be happy to add you to this feature request. If Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates, we'll be sure to announce them on our changelog and/or updates page. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Tasia0711
Visitor
1 0 0

Greetings Elias, 

I hope you are doing well by time you see this message! I was wondering if you could help me obtain my merchant Id number, so that I can set up sales tax in Texas. I saw you were helping others with the same issue, and I tried to get help by previously emailing Shopify's help center, but one of the helpers emailed me stating that there is no such thing as a Shopify Merchant Id, and they couldn't provide me one. I hope you can help, Thank you so much!

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Greetings, @Tasia0711.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I understand that you're looking to obtain the merchant ID for your store. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request. Once you get in touch with our Support team, simply let them know that you need your Shop ID for registering Shopify Payments with your city. 

I'd love to know when our Support team can help you with your merchant ID. Keep me posted!

Mvtimes07
Tourist
4 0 4

Have you been able to solve this? It's such a hassle. 

Im wondering if the only workaround is to build custom emails in a different app. 

Rosstheboss
Shopify Partner
27 1 20

Nope! It's been 2 years and my Shopify notifications still look terrible on dark mode!

Fred_Urfer
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey @Elias,

Could you please let us know where dark mode support lies in your product backlog? If Shopify has determined the value of dark mode compatibility isn't realized, then could you please share qualitative data Shopify acquired via surveys, customer interviews, questionnaires, or market research to make that determination? The NY Times added dark mode last year: https://open.nytimes.com/bringing-dark-mode-to-our-news-apps-409266136ed4. eBay in 2020: https://innovation.ebayinc.com/tech/product/dark-mode-now-live-on-ebay-native-apps/. LinkedIn in 2021: https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/linkedin-is-rolling-out-dark-mode-globally-heres-how-to-turn-it-on/. Reddit, Instagram, Google, Facebook, Hulu, Slack, Whatsapp all have dark mode support.

Dark mode is everywhere. 

Happy to chat with Customer Care in your next customer interview review and speak to our organization's need for dark mode on Shopify. 

Best,

Fred

hades-jewelry
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, joining this thread with a similar issue. I see Shopify changes the color codes of my emails for newsletters or abandoned checkouts when users are using dark mode on their email apps. I would like all my users to be able to follow my brands color palette. Is there any way for me to edit the email design for dark mode as well? So i can make sure that if my text needs to be brown, it's brown in all modes? Thanks! Sorry if it's the wrong place to ask, but i have not found a newer topic for this.