Filter collection with tags (optional) does not work.

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi,

In the "Edit menu item" UI I tried to enters tags in the "Filter collection with tags (optional)" field, but the menu shows no product, even if there are plenty of products matching the tags specified.

Would appareciate if anyone could help.

Thanks

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
259 3 66

Hi Stone Liu, 

Lisa here from the Shopify support team. 

I just ran a test on my store to ensure I completely understood what you experienced. What I found was when a tag is specified in the "Filter collection with tags (optional)" only products with this tag will be shown in the allocated collection. 

Furthermore, if you add more than one tag, each product in the collection must then have all listed tags to be pulled through. There are some exemptions to this rule, for example, if you add a product with a tag 'shirt'. All products from the specified collection that are tagged with 'shirt' will pull through. However, if you add an additional tag i.e 'red' in the "Filter collection with tags (optional)" all products from now on must be tagged with BOTH 'shirt' and 'red'. The existing products in the collection will not be affected by the new tag filter. Any additional products added must contain all tags. 

Additionally, any additional tags must be separated with a comma. Tags are case sensitive, take into account spaces and all characters.

I find the filter with tags function is not best to rely on for your product organization if you require more than one filter. It works best in simple situations for example, if you have an existing unisex pants collection with men's and women's products tagged accordingly.  You can add your pants collection to the menu twice, and use the filter to divide it by men's and women's tags.

It gets complicated the more tags that are added because of the chronological importance of this feature. It is also important to note the tag filter will not remove products once they've been put into the collection. 

I suggest if you're wanting to sort a larger collection into smaller collections, that you add a whole new collection set up to automatically sort via tags. Then return to the navigation and add the new sorted collection. This is a lot more reliable way to set up collections and navigation

I hope this helps to clarify the situation with tag filters in the navigation. 

If you have questions about the above please feel free to reply back! 

Best, 

- Lisa 

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much for the timely and very detailed reply!

Now I know the reason to my problem - I added multiple tags to the collection so that all products were ruled out.

I have a menu item named Themes for sorting jewelry, under which it has sub-items like Holidays, Symbols, Nature etc., and again under Holidays it has Valentine's, St. Patrick, Easter etc. I wanted to show all the products that labelled with a holiday tag when customers select Holiday. Do you happen to know a better way to do this?

Again I appreciate your time and help Lisa :)

Cheers,

Stone

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
259 3 66

Hi, Stone!

Sorry I did not see your response sooner. You're so welcome, glad the above post helped.

Yes, the best way to sort for a 'Holiday' option on the menu is to create another collection that is sorted by the 'Holiday' tag. To do this create a new automated collection with a condition that products must have the tag 'Holiday'. This will allow you to show all the products labeled with a holiday tag when customers select Holiday. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions! 

- Lisa ?

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
8 0 0

Dear @Lisa Lisa,

I have a supplementary question on this topic, and therefore I ask you here. My developer pointed out to me the possibility of sorting a menu by tags and also created a tutorial video about it.

The set up should be like this: Menu (name) > Link (collection > all (all products)) > Filter collection with tags (optional) (enter 1 tag that was assigned at product level).

The developer has already set tags for four menu items as a test. So this works. BUT my problem is that a. I can't set the link for "All" and b. no input field for "Filter collection with tags (optional)" is displayed.

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards,
Deniz 

0 Likes