Font Copyright (Usage in Pictures and Videos)

Solved
3 0 1

Hello guys,

if a certain font is available in the shopify Theme Editor do I also automatically have the permission to use this font in pictures and videos that I use in my store? Furthermore, can I use the font for external advertising campaigns outside of my shopify store? Does the license that shopify grants me extend to this level?

Kind regards,

Niklas

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
72 6 13

Hey, @Cultura!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

Thank you for asking a great question about copyrights and usage cases with fonts.

I can only speak towards the fonts that are included in our free Shopify themes and the fonts in our Shopify Font Library. Any other fonts that might be included in third-party themes may be subject to the third-party's terms of use for licensed fonts.

Any fonts that come with your Shopify free theme can be used anywhere on your website. The majority of the fonts that come built-in with the Shopify themes are prolific system and Google fonts publically available.

There are some licensed fonts that we've partnered with Monotype to provide our merchants for their online stores. These licensed Monotype fonts aren't covered for use outside of our themes. In these instances, you'll need to purchase the font license for use in those external capacities. Alternatively, you can also access Typekit for other use cases.

If you're using a third-party theme and the fonts are not included in the fair use arena, then it's best to check in with the third-party that built your theme to get some clarification.

Let me know if that helped! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes
3 0 1

Hello Lilith,

your answer was very helpful and much appreciated! :)

Thank you very much,

Niklas 

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
72 6 13

You're very welcome! I'm more than happy to help.

Were you able to find a suitable font to use for your external brand content?

I thought I would also add a recommendation for a place to get free premium fonts. I do prefer Adobe, however, if you're looking for something more budget-friendly in the future I'd suggest checking out Creative Market. It's one of my favorite sources of template inspiration and also offers free fonts every week along with other assets you can use to develop your brand idea.

However, If you do plan on using any externally sourced fonts in your theme, you'll have to do some tweaking to the CSS on your theme. If you're comfortable with that you can install them similarly to this example solution here. Of course, you can also hire out a specialized Shopify Expert that can add that custom font in for you.

Let me know how you do with your font journey!

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes