Free Shipping over a set order amount - Not Working!

Excursionist
43 0 9

I recently set up a shipping profile for Free US shipping over $45. I've had a few customers place orders that qualified, and they were not charged shipping. Today, I got an order for $47.50, and the customer was charged for Priority shipping. I manually refunded the shipping, but I hope I don't have to keep doing it this way. I haven't changed any of the settings. 

My theme is Minimal.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
181 0 9

Hey Deanna,

Nick here from Shopify.

Simply enough, your extant weight based rates conflict with the new price based rate. By this I mean your orders can satisfy both the weight based ones and the price based ones, as the free rate has been added last, likely they are not seeing it and are choosing priority. 

I'd remove the monetary value rate, and change it to weight, or vice versa, changing all your rates to value based.

Hope this helps!

Nicholas
Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Excursionist
43 0 9

So, is there not a way to offer free shipping on a certain dollar amount without refunding it manually or using a coupon code?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
181 0 9

There is yes. You're doing it nearly correctly. The issue here is not that you can't offer shipping in the way you want, you have to change or remove the conflicting rates.

For example, if your rates were all weight based, IE you offer free shipping over a certain weight, then it would be fine. You'd just have a free shipping rate for orders above that rate, and ones charging shipping below the weight.

Or, you can use value based rates only, in the same way. They'd just all have to be order value rates.

You just can't have a weight and money one, or at the least they have to not conflict. You need to find out a weight, or approximate bracket of weight, for a cart worth $45. You can then change it to a rate for the same weight (Or approx), not value.

You can then offer a non-conflicting weight rate to work alongside your other weight rates. 

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Excursionist
43 0 9

Thanks for the clarification. I have a wide range of weights and values in my shop, which is why I prefer the weight-based shipping. Someone could purchase some embroidery scissors and threads and meet the $45 with a small 8 oz. package. They could also purchase a $38.50 package of felt that weighs 1.5 lbs, and not meet the price threshhold. I'll have to think on this some more.

0 Likes