Google Pay is showing instead of Paypal

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi

I deactivated paypal and reactivated with new email. My website is ow showing google pay as default instead of paypal button! Can you please help how to again show paypal button on product page.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
642 21 221

Hey!

I'm Aria, a Social Care guru at Shopify.

The Dynamic Checkout button will actually change, depending on which browser your customer is using and their usual payment habits. If they are using Google Chrome and they have paid with Google Pay before, there is a good chance that will be displayed. If they are in the habit of paying for most of their purchases with Paypal, they will see the Paypal button instead. It's intended to be intuitive. Likewise, if your customer is using Safari and they are in the habit of using Apple Pay, this will be displayed for them, assuming you have that set up in your Payment Settings.

The coding for these buttons is pulled from core Shopify and is the same for all stores. It's not something that can be edited in your theme.

Does that make more sense? You can read about it in more detail in this guide.

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Well I always use Pay Pal to pay and never have used Google Pay, yet i'm surfing the web with Chrome and it's asking me to pay with google pay... intuitive? nah, just google monopoly practices that ultimately hurts the store owner. What happened to the good old Fashion "Buy Button" that would then let me select from a list of payment options?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
642 21 221

Hey, @not_a_bot!

You're right in saying both the Google and Apple browsers (Safari) default to their respective payment methods. You're always given the opportunity to switch to a different payment method if you prefer or you could even switch to a different browser if it bothers you. I do prefer using Chrome myself but normally just pay with my credit card.

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi Aria

I'm actually a store owner so i'm not sure if i'm posting in the wrong conversation... but from a store owners perspective, how do you stop chrome or apple pay doing this to my Buy Now button on my product description page? I'd prefer my customer to make that decision at checkout. Custom CSS or does shopify have a checkbox to turn off?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
642 21 221

Thank you for clarifying. 

Keep in mind, your customer won't see the same button you're looking at. They'll typically be shown their own preferred payment method which has been proven to increase conversion rates.

You can certainly turn off third-party accelerated checkout method's in your payments settings. This guide explains how to manage that.

Does that help? 

0 Likes