Google warnings, Products, Missing field "priceValidUntil"

Tourist
26 0 0

I have the latest version of the Minimal theme, I have the same warnings. 

Shopify, what is going on??

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Shopify responded to my ticket yesterday.  At first they informed me that it is directly related to the custom theme my company uses.  They gave me a link to an Shopify SEO app to try and identify how to fix the error.  They then suggested that if that app is not helpful, that we should hire a theme developer to get the issue corrected.  When I explained that this isn't specific to a custom theme, based on this thread, the response was that they've seen a few questions regarding the Structured Data and Google reporting errors - "It seems that recently Google has made some changes to their structure where they are notifying and requesting this information more proactively, though they indicate that a portion of the fields they warn about aren't required bur recommend if available."  Shopify support confirmed that this may affect both custom and Shopify themes.  

Despite this, the recommendation continued to be that we hire someone to look at our theme.  They did end their last email by informing me that they will pass this information through their teams for further investigation.

If anyone else gets any better support from Shopify, please do update, but it appears that they are not concerned with this issue and their claim of using SEO best practices seem questionable at this point.  At least to me.  

0 Likes
Tourist
15 0 3

I have updated my minimal theme & asked Google for validation on the 6th of April. I am still waiting to see. I have a feeling that Shopify has a huge problem as I have referred them to this forum thread several times. Maybe this is a bigger problem than we realize.

0 Likes
Tourist
26 0 0

This is what I am getting on Google Console Search and I think some of listing are not indexing because of these "missing" fields

Google - Missing Fields.jpg

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

@Aracioglu wrote:

@Janet_Story wrote:
Well, it can't be a problem exclusive to Out of the Sandbox since my
theme isn't one of theirs. And I have a hunch that the problem is in the
"guts" part of the liquid that's the same for everybody, rather than the
parts that govern appearance. I wonder, though, if people whose stores
are powered by other services are having the same problem.
It's been my experience on other user forums that it's rare for company
technical staff to even see these posts. Hopefully they're all too busy
actually working on the issue... but it would certainly be courteous (a
vanishing quality) for somebody to swing by and let us know.
What we need is for somebody who ISN'T//getting Google warnings to post
their relevant code sections so we can see what they ought to look like.
Right now it feels like I'm flailing around in the dark.

I agree with you. I am using Supply theme and I get 11 warnings per product, including SKU and global identifier, both inputted correctly.

I have succeeded to eliminate most of the warnings. Only 2 remains, rating and review, both are not available at our website. I have used an app (actually tried a few) but I am not sure if I can mention it. This app adds necessary codes to website but doesn't delete others. So structured data testing tool was showing more than 1 product in the result. I have deleted the first line of code which defines the product and it works now. I am not sure what to do rest the code unfortunately.

You may check one of our products using structured data testing tool. https://gamersdream.shop/

I have copied test result and preview below.

image.pngimage.png

1 Like
Excursionist
33 0 7

That's nice. I dumped my previous SEO app (it was giving me duplicate title tags) and installed yours... but it hasn't gotten rid of any of the warnings. I DID find out the source of the warning for invalid image URL: apparently if the code starts with cdn it will be seen as invalid. It needs to start with http or https. How did you get it to do that... what is the liquid supposed to look like? Still don't know what liquid to pick up to get description (and WHICH description do they want, the product description or the meta?), url and brand into the structured data, or where to look for the pricegooduntil (which probably ought to be picked up from the discount manager -- it's not something I use very often). The other fields either aren't available on basic Shopify or aren't relevant to my vintage items.

0 Likes
Excursionist
33 0 7

I think I just found the culprit!

There are TWO ways of coding for structured data. One of them is microdata and the other is JSON-LD. It looks like the warnings we're all getting is for missing microdata. If you have JSON-LD you don't need the microdata; it's an older system and it's now recommended to use JSON-LD. Google Merchant Center doesn't like microdata any more.

https://www.littlestreamsoftware.com/articles/removing-invalid-microdata-shopify-theme/ tells you how to remove the old microdata from your liquid. I haven't done it yet, but it looks like it might solve the problem.

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

I see that I am far from the only one with this issue.  I am now at 417 , up from just over 100 when I started this question. . I hope shopify , or someone can get this figured out for all of us.  I am hoping that the last reply is on the right rack to get this figured out.  I have looked as much as I can with my very limited ability  and knowledge about this subject.

0 Likes
Tourist
26 0 0

@Janet_Story wrote:

I think I just found the culprit!

There are TWO ways of coding for structured data. One of them is microdata and the other is JSON-LD. It looks like the warnings we're all getting is for missing microdata. If you have JSON-LD you don't need the microdata; it's an older system and it's now recommended to use JSON-LD. Google Merchant Center doesn't like microdata any more.

https://www.littlestreamsoftware.com/articles/removing-invalid-microdata-shopify-theme/ tells you how to remove the old microdata from your liquid. I haven't done it yet, but it looks like it might solve the problem.

Janet, 

have you tried this yet? I'm a tad scared to try it.. It's weird these Google warning for Missing Fields, just started not to long ago

Anyone know if this would work?  @Jason @KarlOffenberger

Shopify HELP Please! 

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 0

Having the same issues with Debut theme. My Google Search Console overview is alarming, and it all seems to have happened from one day to another. What's going on Shopify! This should be priority number one! Currently, you're harming the ranking of all your webshops until it's fixed. Hoping to get some information and some guidelines on how to fix this issue, ASAP!

Skærmbillede 2019-04-18 kl. 17.12.04.png

0 Likes