H1 tag in Headings

Tourist
60 0 1

Hello forum members, my knowledge is fairly basic so please bare with me.

I've recently run plug in SEO again to check for issues and I appear to have developed an issue with H1 tags in my 'Headings'. I've checked my product.liquid and I have a <h1 itemprop="name">{{ product.title }}</h1> . I'm guessing this is the heading on my individual product pages, for example http://www.architecturaldecor.co.uk/products/edwardian-gibbons-mortice-door-handles . I'm wondering if this is because I have a custom theme and plug in seo doesn't 'see' the tag, theres an issue with the product.liquid or I need to add another H1 into the text? If I add a H1 tag into the text it looks odd as I would have two headings.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have on this.

Paul

0 Likes
1 0 0

Yes, that is the heading for your product.  The H1 tag is a "Heading" tag, and the most important one at that.  You're essentially using the product title as the H1, which is good... Not really sure what the problem is... what does the SEO app say the error is?

-Rick

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
650 0 93

Hi Paul

what is the issue with the h1 tags?

Maybe the problem isolated to your home page only?
It looks like the homepage doesn't have a h1 heading.
You could add one and use CSS to hide it.

0 Likes
Tourist
60 0 1

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and have a look for me, the plug in seo says 'There's no H1 tag on this page' I assumed this meant on product pages. I've looked for a H1 tag in theme.liquid (homepage?) and I can't find one. On my shopify store the title under the main images 'Original antique and......' is input as a title so I assumed this would be a H1 tag? Would you suggest adding a H1 tag into the block of text below the title on the homepage then as you suggest hiding it using CSS so it doesn't look odd (I have no idea what that actually is but I'm getting quite good at using forums and following instructions so should be able to work it out). 

Sorry if this is really obvious.

Thanks again, Paul.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
650 0 93

Hi Paul

Your product pages do have h1 tags. You should find it in the "templates/product.liquid" file.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
650 0 93

If needed you (for the home page) could add a hidden h1 title to the "templates/index.liquid" file like this.

<h1 class="hidden">Architectural Decor - Traditional Architectural Hardware</h1>

1 Like
Tourist
60 0 1

Thanks again Ricky thats really helpful, I've put it into the template and bingo.

Thanks

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 1

I'm having this same issue, but the fix didn't work for me (the h1 title appeared at the bottom of the home page rather than being hidden).  Has anyone managed to add a hidden H1 tag to home page?

0 Likes
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi kvg_australia,

you might have solved it already.. In case not, I guess what you need to do to make it work is to input the code on top before the comment section.

1) browse to online store -> edit code -> templates -> index.liquid

2) input on top of all other code

Best,

impactberry

0 Likes