Solved

HELP! Currency switcher not working properly on product page...

Joz
7 0 0

Hi,

I just went through the Shopify guide on adding a currency switcher and followed it step by step.

The switcher works however when I go into a product page it reverts back to the AUD price, whilst keeping the 'selected currency' as whatever was picked.

For example I'd like the default display currency to be USD. The home page loads in USD. All products are $34.90USD. Select any product from the home page or the collection page and it switches to $48.99AUD but the switch still shows USD. If you then go to change it, all the prices are messed up. The only way this doesn't happen is if the user changes the price to AUD, then selects the product, once it loads clicks on USD.

Any help will be appreciated. My store is:

https://awesomecases.store/

https://awesome-cases-store.myshopify.com

Ideally I'd like my payout to be AUD but my display default to be USD. If that's not possible I'll gladly have AUD and AUD with a working switcher. At the moment I've had to pause all my campaigns until this problem is resolved which sucks 😞

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution (1)

tim
Shopify Expert
3258 232 1178

This is an accepted solution.

Hey Joz,

this happens because the original theme code overwrites all prices on product page on load and when variant changes. And it simply outputs the numbers in your shop native currency.

The tutorial code includes fix for this, but it only works for old themes 😞

What you should do is open your theme.js (liquid?) Asset look for this code at the bottom of the productPage function:

this.selectors.$shopifyPaymentButton.hide();
      }
    },

and change it like this:

}
      Currency.convertAll(shopCurrency, jQuery('[name=currencies]').val());
      jQuery('.selected-currency').text(Currency.currentCurrency); 
    },

View solution in original post

Replies 13 (13)

tim
Shopify Expert
3258 232 1178

This is an accepted solution.

Hey Joz,

this happens because the original theme code overwrites all prices on product page on load and when variant changes. And it simply outputs the numbers in your shop native currency.

The tutorial code includes fix for this, but it only works for old themes 😞

What you should do is open your theme.js (liquid?) Asset look for this code at the bottom of the productPage function:

}
    },

and change it like this:

}
      Currency.convertAll(shopCurrency, jQuery('[name=currencies]').val());
      jQuery('.selected-currency').text(Currency.currentCurrency); 
    },

Joz
7 0 0
Perfect I think this has fixed the problem, I'm going to test to see if I
can now set the default to USD and see if it works.

Thanks!!
Joz
7 0 0

Tim I've just discovered that on MOBILE only when you select the variant on a product page it opens the currency converter... what would be causing this? 

tim
Shopify Expert
3258 232 1178

Does not happen on my devices, can't tell without seeing.

Joz
7 0 0

Hi Tim, 

Screen grab from my phone is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_O01pWq6JHih4xQC4aFLSN4-uYMvzMxi the same thing occurs on all products but only on mobile, desktop there's no issue. 

Joz
7 0 0

Just a note I'm going to revert the code to the previous version so the store is usable for the time being... 

tim
Shopify Expert
3258 232 1178

Make a theme copy, add the code there and send me a preview link. I will try on an iPad tomorrow, do not have an i-device now. It is strange -- I've installed the code from/based on this tutorial on many sites and no one complained yet. 

Good night!

Liesbeth_Van_De
10 0 0

Super helpful, solved my problem as well!!

mrsun
Excursionist
37 1 4

Hi

I’m using Brooklyn theme. There is a currency switcher already built in, but it’s at the bottom, footer. Do I still need to install a currency switcher if it’s already built in? and most importantly how do I change it from footer to header?

Thanks

sun

Anthony_Jackson
Shopify Partner
245 2 11

I see you solved your problem. But I suggest you a currency switcher for Shopify store. It's Currency Converter Box. 

It's free at all. You can use automatic location conversion for free while other apps make you pay for it.

Sound great? This is the link to install Currency Converter Box

banned

Anthony_Jackson
Shopify Partner
245 2 11

Your problem is fixed. Congrats!

I juts want to recommend a free currency app Currency Converter Box. You use the automatic location conversion without paying even one cent. 

banned

MichaelGeo
Pathfinder
194 3 17

Hi there! For further reference, here is another solution worth checking out.

In your store, when the currency is changed, it adds a query parameter to the URL, like, exampleshop.com?cur=AUD, or exampleshop.com?cur=USD. There are tools can help you auto detect visitors among currency switches based on your visitors' locations, and redirect visitors to correct currency using URL parameter. For example, Geo Redirect. If a visitor is from Australia, and he goes to exampleshop.com, it will redirect and take him to exampleshop.com?cur=AUD, automatically showing Australia Dollar currency.

The tool is easy to set. No code is necessary. The service will generate Javascript code for you to add to your website. Shopify platform is well supported. Hope it helps!

Bikas
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Jos 

Which theme you are  using 

I like your theme...

Can you provide me details