Having the SKU show up on the main products lists page

Tourist
18 0 1

@Ninthony  Agree.  However, in some cases I just need to be able to quickly look at what is the next available number to use when adding a new product.  Example would be if I've quickly sorted by SKU and 100-905-10-RED is the last one shown then I know my next in line number is 100-905-11-RED.  In our case, the number coding allows for knowing what a product is.  (100) = Warning steamers (9xxx) = The individual number for that product - (11) = the letter coloring (RED) = the color of the streamer.  So an example would also be if the streamer above 100-905-10-RED (905) = "CHECK COOLANT" (10) = Neon yellow letters (RED) = Red background.  100-905-02-RED (905) = "CHECK COOLANT" (02) = White letters (RED) = Red background.  Otherwise I would let it auto populate a number.  Similar to how Department of Defense NSN numbers work.

0 Likes
Tourist
18 0 1

So... I'm a newbie on here but got a question.  I think I already know the answer but figured I'd ask.

I see how you can really dig into the coding side of a "Theme" but is there a way to dig into the coding on the other side?  Meaning, can I adjust code for the upper products tab (above the theme)?  Seems like I should be able to define in the code to change the sorting order of the products by changing a variable.....  My assumption is that this is at the main programming core of Shopify..

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
188 23 42

Hi @Cool_CNC_Stuff,

Thanks again for your responses. I will address each one individually below.

Thanks for addressing this.  I knew about the CSV export option but that seems like a ton of "extra" work for one to have to do just to "sort" a list of products.  I did find that if I filter on the main products tab and then hit edit I can at least be only looking at the down selected items.  It does do some version of sorting (Showing all products where product type is Warning Streamers, sorted by title in ascending order) which leads me to believe there is a code edit that would let me set it to sort by SKU number instead.  Do you have a suggestion for where to look for this option?

Yes, that's correct - you can filter first on the main Products page, select the filtered products, and then when you hit "Edit products" and go into the bulk editor, only those products will show. The ability to filter by some fields, such as Product Type, and not others (e.g. SKU) is something hardcoded into the Shopify admin and this cannot be edited. You have access to the code of your storefront, but not the backend of the store (i.e. the Shopify admin). I can see why this would feel restrictive though, and as mentioned, I have submitted your feedback to our development team for future consideration. 

As @Ninthony mentioned, exporting via CSV and working within a spreadsheet can be a good option, although I appreciate that it feels like extra work. Some merchants prefer to edit and manage their data within a spreadsheet program that offers more flexibility and customization than the admin, and the export and import feature does make it easy to transfer data in and out of Shopify. It might be a case of doing smaller edits or management within the admin and the bulk editor, and larger ones via CSV. It's a workaround, of course, but it's an option you may wish to consider.

Also, please look at my other post with a question I cannot find a solution for. https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Issue-with-quot-Allow-customers-to-purchase-this-prod...

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will take a look at this for you and get back to you in that topic on this matter.

Agree.  However, in some cases I just need to be able to quickly look at what is the next available number to use when adding a new product.  Example would be if I've quickly sorted by SKU and 100-905-10-RED is the last one shown then I know my next in line number is 100-905-11-RED.  In our case, the number coding allows for knowing what a product is.  (100) = Warning steamers (9xxx) = The individual number for that product - (11) = the letter coloring (RED) = the color of the streamer.  So an example would also be if the streamer above 100-905-10-RED (905) = "CHECK COOLANT" (10) = Neon yellow letters (RED) = Red background.  100-905-02-RED (905) = "CHECK COOLANT" (02) = White letters (RED) = Red background.  Otherwise I would let it auto populate a number.  Similar to how Department of Defense NSN numbers work.

Given the way your SKUs are organized, the previously mentioned CSV method is likely the best option for you when it comes to filtering and sorting that data due to these being built-in features of most (if not all) spreadsheet programs. However, as you mention that your SKU numbers denote certain things - such (100) being equal to Warning steamers - you could make use of our tag system to better organize and view data natively within the admin. Tags, like product types, can be used as filters in the Products section, so if you added tags to products to denote certain things, you could then filter and edit them as desired. For example, for all products that have a (100) SKU number, you could add the tag "100" or "Warning steamers". From the Product page you could then filter using the "100"/ "Warning steamers" tag to view only the products you have given this tag. It likely would not give you the flexibility you'd need and would get with a CSV file being viewed in a spreadsheet program, but you would be able to do more within the admin.

So... I'm a newbie on here but got a question.  I think I already know the answer but figured I'd ask. I see how you can really dig into the coding side of a "Theme" but is there a way to dig into the coding on the other side?  Meaning, can I adjust code for the upper products tab (above the theme)?  Seems like I should be able to define in the code to change the sorting order of the products by changing a variable.....  My assumption is that this is at the main programming core of Shopify..

When you are saying "on the other side", as you referring to the backend of the store (the admin) as opposed to the frontend of the store (the theme/ online store)? If so, and as mentioned higher up in this reply, you can edit the code for the frontend but not the backend of your Shopify store. If you're speaking about a frontend issue, please specify what this is in more detail and I'll be happy to look at this for you.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1663 50 174

@Cool_CNC_Stuff wrote:

I see how you can really dig into the coding side of a "Theme" but is there a way to dig into the coding on the other side?  Meaning, can I adjust code for the upper products tab (above the theme)?  Seems like I should be able to define in the code to change the sorting order of the products by changing a variable

No it's not like themes the core admin is a blackbox so you cannot re"define" it.

However there are options

• Use the shopify api to make a custom private application that helps you to display skus and validate new ones
    • the sku search page could be at a separate site or made as an embedded app that's in the shopify admin itself
      • this would not replace the core product pages though.
  • Make a utility theme|template|page and use liquid to render a frontend view displaying skus linking back to that url in the admin
    • keep in mind pagination limits
    • best used with a test-customer account whose customer.id is used to limit who can ever access the utility page
  • Using javascript make either a userscript,bookmarklet, browser extensions or a developer-tools snippet to modify web pages at runtime in your browser
    • this would mean fetching each product and processing it's .json for the variant skus which can take a bit
Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi victor,

I know this is slightly off the original topic of this conversation but what I am trying to do is add tags, such as the size, to individual SKU's within products. For example, all size Mens 3 would have the tag M3. This would allow me to add (with a bit of creative navigation in the back ground) an option for my customers to search by size and only those SKU's with inventory in that size would show up.

Can it be done mate? 

Cheers

Graeme

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
188 23 42

Hi @Graeme_K9,

This would not be possible, unfortunately, as tags are added at the product level and not the variant level. This means any tag you add to a product will apply to all of its variants as well. If you were looking to add these tags for filtering purposes, you may wish to consider an app such as Collection Filter which will allow your customers to filter products by size on the store. It may also be possible via some changes to the theme's code, although this isn't something we'd support directly.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like