Help Needed With "Minimal" Theme

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hello All,

Firstly, I hope I'm in the right place.  My first time on Shopify forums, so if I'm not, show me the red card, but please point me towards the correct dressing room.

I'm a 60 year old, having a venture on Shopify for the first time, but I'm quite tech savvy - I ran a large business in the past which had quite an internet presence, but I've never built a site like I'm doing here now.  It's been a big learning curve, but I've (up until now) been quite proud of myself.  I'm maybe 7 days away from launch, with all SEO in place and all the on-line tutorials duly noted.

So this question is going to sound pretty pathetic - but sometimes, the obvious things aren't obvious.  I' using the "Minimal" theme.  It comes defaulted with a number of "footer" items, none of which I want.  I don't seem to be able to get rid of them ! - I actually want to replace them with some of my own, but can't figure that out either.  I want my T's and C's, Shipping Info, FAQ's etc to be hidden pages (only accessible by clicking a link in the footer), but cannot seem to figure what I'm doing wrong.  I figured most stuff out, from scratch, but this has me totally confused.

I would appreciate any elp, as I've come so far, only to be stalled by this ridiculously small problem.....i bet the solution is obvious, but I can't figure it !!

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 16 19

Hi @KnifeGourmet 

Eunice here from the Shopify team. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! You are most definitely in the right place, questions like yours are what the Community is for.

I'd be happy to show you how to change the links in the footer menu. The same instructions apply to any free Shopify theme, please see below:

1. First of all you'll need to be logged into your Shopify admin. From here you're going to click online store to reveal a drop-down menu. From this menu click on Navigation. You'll then see the screen below:

jkovz-roa4t

2.  You're then going to click on the default Footer menu:

lyrd6-u78zv

3. You may already have some links in your footer menu. This is where you can change them, or, add brand new ones:

m359h-2ubj0

4. In this example I've clicked on add menu item from the above screen. Here I can add the menu item's name and link:

hwsyz-5muso

5. Once you've edited a menu item, or, added a brand new one, you can arrange the order you'd like them to be displayed by dragging and dropping the 6 dots located by each menu item:

e119m-p0u34

6. Throughout these steps don't forget to click Save! Once you're finished, preview your homepage to reveal your new footer. I recommend testing out the links to make sure they work OK:

3hzns-ela7k

I hope this helps! If you have any questions about this don't hesitate to thread them here.

Also, since you're so close to your launch date I thought this blog might be helpful. It's the essential Shopify store checklist! I highly recommend flicking through to ensure you've got everything covered. I guess from your Community handle that you're going to be selling gourmet knives! Is that right?

Eunice | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Eunice,

Thank you so much for your very fast, and most courtious reply.  Yes, I'm working on a site selling high quality Japanese Kitchen Knife Sets - a rather niche market, but a growing one.

I have already done the steps you suggest, but with no success, but did so again, following your message word by word, but no success again.

The first thing I immediately noticed is that my "theme" (Minimal) does not give me the options which your screen-shots show.  If it had done so, I would have figured out, pretty quickly, what I needed to do.  It does not give me options to edit or delete footer "headings", and there is no link to where I can input text for the (unwanted) one's which are provided as defaults.  If I could simply change the heading name, enter the text for the link, that would suffice, ut I cannot do so.

The only option I'm given is to delete the entire footer menu - which is clearly not desirable.

I can add a new footer heading, but then I'm asked to provide a link to it - I am told "Link type must be one of frontpage, collection, collections, product, catalog, page, blog, article, search, shop_policy, http".  I don't want to have a link to any of these options.  I simply want a link to a "non main menu" page, containing text, accessed only via the footer link.

I've spent another few hours today trying to navigate around this issue but simply cannot find a solution.  If "Minimal" had the menu in your message screen-shots, I wouldn't be bothering you.  Thank you, once again, for your kindness and support.

Regards

Paul

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Hello,

Can you please reply to my last message. I am at a loss as to how to
progress my project. Many thanks.

Paul
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 16 19

Hi @KnifeGourmet 

Thanks for your response! 

I am sorry those instructions didn't work for you. Funnily enough, I used my own store within the screenshot example which uses the Minimal theme (great choice by the way!). So, I'm thinking I perhaps misunderstood your question. I'd love to help you with this, so let's try again.

When you visit your storefront you'll have a footer section with a set of links, which may look something like this:

m190z-ch92q

From your message it sounds like you're wanting to change the names of these links, and what they link to. Is that right? If yes, how many links would you like, and what are you wanting to link? Understanding your goal might help me provide you with a better solution.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Hello Eunice,

You did understand what I was trying to do. However, the screenshots you
sent to me dont look like the options I'm getting with the minimal theme.
For example I don't get the edit or delete options you're showing me.

If I did, I could figure things out. I'm also unable to link to a text
page.

If you read my last but one message, it explains what options I'm given -
none of which are useful to me.

I simply want to name the footers and create a link to a text page for each
one. But, it simply won't allow me to do so.

I don't know why I'm not offered the same options as per your screenshot.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as my project is currently completely
stalled.

Many thanks

Paul
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 16 19

Hmmmm, I wonder if you're going into the theme customizer, instead of navigation.

Are you seeing something similar to this?:

mbdqq-pwi7k

If yes, then you're in the wrong place. I can see how this would be misleading as there is a footer section within the theme customizer too. I should have included this in my initial instructions, my apologies. But we're nearly there - yay! From here just click back until you reach this page of your Shopify admin:

ysaze-ptm7l

The above page is the one you need to open your theme customizer, but, we need Navigation. So, from here click on Navigation from the left-hand side menu:

u5290-tr3g0

Once you're here my original instructions should make sense, but, if you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Really like the sound of the Japanese Kitchen Knife Sets by the way! 

0 Likes