Hiding a single item variant in a bundle-only store

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Our store sells beer. We want to be able to hide the single can variant, because we only sell in bundles of 4, 16 or 24 cans, plus one bundle that is a mix of 6 different beers.

We also need to be able to track inventory at the single can level - we are currently using the Connected Inventory app to manage the bundling, and it should be able to reduce the total single can inventory by the right amount when a 4-pack, 16-pack or 24-pack is sold.

The problem is that we want to hide the single can variant on Collection and Product pages as we don't sell single cans, only bundles. I can't find any option or app that allows us to hide that one variant without hiding the whole product. 

Any ideas?

Screenshot_1b.png

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
200 22 36

Hi @MountainCulture

Hyde here from Shopify. Interesting question!

As it is not possible to sell products as bundles natively within Shopify, we normally recommend that you use an app like:

- Product Bundles
- Bundler product Bundles
- Bundle Products

Using apps like these means that your products are sold in the bundles you like and that your store can still accurately track the inventory of single products. So you shouldn't need to have a single variant created within the product itself.

Is there a particular reason why you felt you needed to create a variant within each product if you only intend on selling bundles? I'd be interested to hear more so that I may help you further. It would also be good to know what theme you are using because that way I can consult with my theme team about possible coding workarounds.

I hope this all helps, happy to answer any other questions you may have.

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Hyde,

Thanks for your response. I thought I would need a single can variant in order to track our inventory which is at the single product level. For example, we may have 1000 cans of Lager in stock, which will reduce in lots of 6, 24 or 1, depending on whether we sell a 6-pack, case or mixed 6-pack bundle.

If we can make that work without having a variant that is a single can, then that's great, but from my understanding that's not possible natively in Shopify. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and let me know how to set it up if it's possible.

FYI the Connected Inventory app has a bundling feature which is what we're currently using. But this, and I assume the other Bundle apps, rely on building bundles out of single products, so we're back where we started.

Our fall-back position is to give up on having an inventory based on single cans, and instead base it on 6-packs, cases and mixed packs, but because we never know how many of each we may sell each week, there will be much manual inventory updating to correct for differences in sales of the different pack sizes. I hope that all makes sense!

Cheers,

Steve @ Mountain Culture Beer Co

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
200 22 36

When it comes to tracking inventory, all you need is a product. You don't need to have variant options for that same product. 

I created a product to illustrate what I mean, with no variants:

20-03-trb73-n28qr

20-03-6ivoh-nnkuv

And it will look like this:

20-03-jjcpq-8u1gc

If you're using a Shopify theme, you'll notice that you can usually also toggle the quantity selector on-off:

20-03-zcd2x-gbc2i

Shopify's inventory will now track according to the quantity you put in:

20-03-o2aln-nba0o

Now, if you're looking to sell in batches of 6, 12 and 24 you would be best off using an app as you've mentioned you're already doing, to create bundles.

I hope this helps, but I'm happy to keep digging if required!

All the best, Hyde. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Hyde,

Thanks for your detailed reply. However unless I'm reading it wrong, it doesn't address my core problem which is that I don't want the single can product to be visible in the store, only the bundles. This is because we don't sell single cans, only 6-packs and cases.

Everything I've seen so far results in the single can being visible as a product. We need it to be hidden so only the bundles and bundle pricing are visible on the store.

Can you advise if this is possible either natively in Shopify or with an app (I have searched without luck here) or custom code?

Cheers,

Steve

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
200 22 36

The only native option in Shopify for that is to create a product but label it as, for example, "six-pack of beer", but as you've already mentioned this will disrupt inventory tracking as Shopify can only track individual products. 

I'd recommend reaching out to the app developers directly for the apps I linked you to, as they may have an option to hide the original product and only display the bundles. 

Failing that, you could consult a Shopify Expert. Shopify Experts are a team of third-party developers who can make custom changes to your store on a contracted basis. They may be able to develop a custom solution for your bundle issue or may have access to an already existing integration that I'm unaware of. As with all Expert contracts, requirements and prices are agreed upon before any work commences, so you can always check in with a few different Experts to ensure you're getting what you want for a competitive price. I hope that helps!

All the best, Hyde. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

We are wanting to do the same thing as you discussed here. Did you get any further with an app developer/solution? Our issue is the same, albeit with bottles rather than cans. I want to track total quantity of bottles but only sell them in 6s and 12s.

Any thoughts or ideas very much appreciated. 

Luke

0 Likes