Hiding menus from customers who are not registered/logged in

rose_m_ard
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi there,

So I'm building a site using the 'Empire' theme.

I'm trying to achieve the following:

• When a customer is NOT logged in I want them to see our blog, about us, contact us menu options in the headers.
  • When a customer IS logged in I want them to see the above but also our products and menu categories for our product and be able to buy from us.

Is it possible to achieve this? So far I've experimented with apps (eg. MagicPass) that allow you to see the Collections but not view the items until you login but is there one that will hide the collections all together until your logged in?

Appreciate any advice!

Kindest,

Rose

Replies 9 (9)

Jason
Shopify Expert
11190 225 2282

A collection link will always work but you could certainly have code in place that opts to not add/show any products. You could even choose to show something else entirely. Why does it matter if a customer sees the collection? Context is important for members here to understand the need.

I assume you don't care about the SEO implications since a search engine would not see content.

★ I jump on these forums in my free time to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work. http://freakdesign.com.au ★
rose_m_ard
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Jason,

Thanks for you response.

We're a wholesale business and only want to sell to qualified individual's who we approve to shop with us. 

We want to restrict what other people (who are not customers) see on our site.

Regarding SEO - no I'm not worried about this. 

Kyle_W
Shopify Expert
172 26 105

Hi @rose_m_ard!

The Locksmith app for Shopify has a feature that does exactly what you are looking for. With Locksmith, you can hide entire collections (and their products), including any menu items in your store's navigation that are linked to the hidden collections. Here's an example of the settings in Locksmith when hiding a collection:

Image 2021-05-07 at 10.44.46 AM.jpg

Hopefully this helps!

Kyle W | Helium
Helium builds apps that thousands of merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields ✪✪✪✪✪ (300+ reviews)
- Meteor Mega Menu ✪✪✪✪✪ (200+ reviews)
Kyle_W
Shopify Expert
172 26 105

Just a quick follow-up... Our team here at Helium wrote a blog post for a very similar use-case. Using Customer Fields in conjunction with Locksmith gives you a lot of flexibility! 

https://heliumdev.com/blog/restrict-access-membership-pages

Kyle W | Helium
Helium builds apps that thousands of merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields ✪✪✪✪✪ (300+ reviews)
- Meteor Mega Menu ✪✪✪✪✪ (200+ reviews)

jess-macedo
Shopify Partner
18 1 30

Hi @rose_m_ard,

I am sorry your question was never answered over here, please let me know if you still have questions about it. I can help you with all that. 

TWCIndia
Tourist
14 0 2

Hi Jess-Macedo

I am trying to achieve the same thing on Dawn 13 theme. I have created the Main Menu but want to hide just one menu item (Collection list) from the non-logged in customers. How do I achieve this?

jess-macedo
Shopify Partner
18 1 30

Hi There,

What I do is create 2 different Navigation Menus, I use the handle generated from them and create the if statement. I can make a quick tutorial for you if you feel comfortable coding. If you need extra help, please let me know your store URL and I can easily do that for you.
Best,
Jess
TWCIndia
Tourist
14 0 2

Hi Jess-Macedo

Thank you for your reply. My store is www.thewellnesss.club

We have used a lock app, so the collections are not visible to non members of the club.

However, I want to include the collection list as a main menu item, which should be visible only to the logged in customers. 

I created 2 nav menus - Main Menu as well as a Member Menu, but where do I put the code so I can show the Membefr menu to logged in customers. 

Thanks.

TWCIndia
Tourist
14 0 2

Hi Jess-Macedo

It would be great if you could please help me with this. We are very close to the launch date and I need to get this done. 

2 separate menus - one for general website visitors and another one for logged in customers. 

Thank you so much in advance.