Hiding the collection description on collection page Debut Theme

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
79 1 9

So I need to hide the collection description (not the title) in my collection pages. I know I can leave the description blank in Shopify, but I wanted to see if it is possible to hide because I'm using an automated SEO app that uses the description as SEO tags. Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1284 170 404

You can hide it by going into your collection.liquid, ctrl + f for {{ collection.description }} -- And comment it out:

{% comment %}
{{ collection.description }}
{% endcomment %}

If you open collection.liquid and see something like:

{% section 'collection-template' %}

//or 

{% include 'collection-template' %}

You will want to find those files and search for collection.description and do what I mentioned earlier. If you see "section" it's a section file, if you see "include" it's a Snippet file.

If my solution helped you, please like and accept as solution!
If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
79 1 9

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I can't find the collection.description line neither in collection.liquid (section file) nor collection.liquid (template file). The only place I can find it is in collectio-template.liquid but it is inside an IF statement:

{% if collection.description != blank %}
        <div class="rte collection-description page-width">
        </div>
      {% endif %}
    {% else %}
      <div class="page-width">
        <div class="section-header text-center">
          <h1>{{ collection.title }}</h1>
            <div class="rte">
            </div>
          {% endif %}

Maybe it's here that I have to make the changes? Or maybe I can code in the theme.css.liquid file? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

@Jose13 wrote:

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I can't find the collection.description line neither in collection.liquid (section file) nor collection.liquid (template file). The only place I can find it is in collectio-template.liquid but it is inside an IF statement:

</div>
      {% endif %}
    {% else %}
      <div class="page-width">
        <div class="section-header text-center">
          <h1>{{ collection.title }}</h1>
            <div class="rte">
            </div>
          {% endif %}

Maybe it's here that I have to make the changes? Or maybe I can code in the theme.css.liquid file? 

If you don't need the collection.description then you can comment it out like below. Although I recommend refactoring the block so you don't have unnecessary conditions (if/else) and just render the collection.titles.

{% comment %} {{ collection.description }}
{% endcomment %} </div> {% endif %} {% else %} <div class="page-width"> <div class="section-header text-center"> <h1>{{ collection.title }}</h1> {% comment %} {% if collection.description != blank %} <div class="rte"> {{ collection.description }} </div> {% endif %} {% endcomment %}

Need shopify help? Drop us an email hi@cnvs.la
Web: www.cnvs.la
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1284 170 404

Yup, that's probably where you're going to want to edit. All that if statement is saying is that "If there is a collection description, show it". So you can just comment that out like @cnvs said.

If my solution helped you, please like and accept as solution!
If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi does anyone know how to hide part of a product description on shopify by adding a scroll feature. 

Example Product Description: 

This wall art is certified museum-grade and designed to withstand the test of time. Durability, image clarity, and color accuracy are the top priority, as use archival inks to prevent fading and to preserve as much fine detail as possible with no over-saturation or color shifting. Featuring a proprietary design, it produces the tightest corners without any bubbles, ripples, or bumps, and will not warp or sag over time. 
Features
  • Artist quality canvas
  • Easy to hang, hardware included
  • Patented warp-resistant construction with solid matboard backing
  • UV and fade-resistant archival inks

----------------------------

If I want the features section to only be seen if somebody scrolls down how do i do that? I.e I dont want it to be seen as soon as somebody clicks the product description, I want it to essentially be hidden unless the user scrolls down. 

Thanks!

0 Likes